By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on December 20, 2010 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 36, South Johnston 34
* FOUR OAKS -- C.B. Aycock got two critical 3-pointers from Imari Howell and held off a strong South Johnston squad 36-34 on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference girls' basketball scene.
Howell buried back-to-back baskets in the fourth quarter which gave the Golden Falcons the lead for good. Howell finished with 20 points and six rebounds on the night.
Ivy Hartzell added eight points and three rebounds in the win.
C.B. Aycock (6-4 overall, 3-0 ECC) will play host to Goldsboro on Tuesday. South Johnston will be the first-round matchup of Spring Creek in the annual Princeton Holiday Tournament, which begins today.
Oakwood Academy 66, Wayne Christian 24
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Wayne Christian failed to slow down the Oakwood Academy offense in a 66-24 loss in the consolation bracket of the Rocky Mount Academy Holiday Tournament.
Courtney Barrow led the Eagles with seven points and four rebounds. Carly Hightower added six points and two boards. Brooke Barfield was named to the all-tournament team.
Wayne Christian (2-6 overall) will be off until after the holiday season. The Eagles will host Cape Fear Christian on Jan. 4, 2011.
* Girls' basketball: C.B. Aycock 39, South Johnston 32 -- Quanika Artis and Raquelle Lawrence scored 14 points apiece for the Golden Falcons.
Other Local Sports
- South Johnston girls defeat Princeton in title game
- Spring Creek girls notch second win of season
- Gators' Thomas torches KIPP for career-best 43 points
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Southern Wayne boys top South Brunswick
- Unbeaten Dogs roll past county foe South Johnston ... again
- Cougar boys weather fourth-quarter rally
- Golden Falcon girls slip past Goldsboro
- Aycock - Goldsboro wrestling
- Goldsboro-C.B. Aycock wrestling box