Rosewood in EW Quad
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on December 20, 2010 1:47 PM
Chris Lane, Nick Quillen, Zach Behrend, Josh Pipkin and Taylor McGill all fashioned 5-0 worksheets for perennial 1-A wrestling power Rosewood, which emerged the lone perfect team during a non-conference, dual meet contested at Eastern Wayne.
The Eagles (11-1 overall) upended county rival Charles B. Aycock 42-32, and avenged their lone dual loss of the season. They won eight contested individual matches against the Golden Falcons, who continue to lack depth at key weight classes.
"We were missing Behrend and (Jacob) Guthrie the first time we met, and felt like that would make a difference," said Rosewood head coach Bill Edmundson. "Aycock always gives us a great match. Their coaching staff is top notch and they know how to get the most out of their kids."
Rosewood scored dual victories over Cleveland, Eastern Wayne, former Carolina 1-A nemesis North Johnston and short-handed Tarboro.
Guthrie and 119-pounder Angel Jaramillo each finished 3-0.
Many of Rosewood's top grapplers drew forfeits throughout the evening, particularly Behrend and Pipkin.
"Josh pinned the two guys who wrestled against him," said Edmundson. "One of the things that's happening is teams are forfeiting to our (returning) state placers. I guess that is a good problem to have, but I'd much rather see them get the opportunity to wrestle."
Adam McKane registered four wins on the day. Jordan Batson and Jamie Wooten had three wins apiece. Tyler Dean and Bradley Mill each went 2-3.
The Eagles entertain Greene Central and Northern Nash on Wednesday.
-- By RUDY COGGINS
Other Local Sports
- South Johnston girls defeat Princeton in title game
- Spring Creek girls notch second win of season
- Gators' Thomas torches KIPP for career-best 43 points
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Southern Wayne boys top South Brunswick
- Unbeaten Dogs roll past county foe South Johnston ... again
- Cougar boys weather fourth-quarter rally
- Golden Falcon girls slip past Goldsboro
- Aycock - Goldsboro wrestling
- Goldsboro-C.B. Aycock wrestling box