By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on December 21, 2010 1:47 PM
Princeton 41, KIPP Pride 16
* PRINCETON -- Savanna Massengill recorded a double-double by halftime, and Princeton throttled KIPP Pride, 41-16, in opening-round action of the 2010 Princeton Holiday Classic on Monday evening.
Massengill, a freshman, logged 19 points and 13 rebounds for the Bulldogs, who extended their modest win streak to two games. Starters Tori Paul and Megan Gerrell supplied eight and six points, respectively.
Katelyn Edwards contributed 12 rebounds and five rebounds. Katlyn Peedin pulled down 10 boards.
The Bulldogs (3-7 overall) led 15-2 after one quarter and pitched a second-quarter shutout. The Panthers, who graduated all five starters off last year's team, managed seven field goals.
Princeton faces county rival South Johnston in the championship game today at 6:30 p.m. KIPP Pride meets Spring Creek in the third-place game at 3:30 p.m.
South Johnston 72, Spring Creek 21
* PRINCETON -- South Johnston came out shooting the lights out from the opening tip and never looked back in a 72-21 win over Spring Creek in the opening round of the Princeton Holiday Classic on Monday.
Whitney Williams led the Trojans with 18 points. Liz Barbie added 16 points. South Johnston opened up a 26-3 lead after one quarter.
Elizabeth Edwards paced the Spring Creek offense with 10 points. Stacie Salter finished with five points and Morgan Stancil and Kimberly Swinson each scored three points.
Spring Creek fell to 1-9 overall.
James Kenan 43, North Duplin 33
* WARSAW -- James Kenan pulled away in the fourth quarter to defeat county rival North Duplin 43-33 on Monday night.
Tiarra Ammons and Jessica Jones each tallied nine points for the Rebels. Briana Oliver added seven points.
Denecia Miller and Shay Ross each scored 10 points for James Kenan.
North Duplin (0-6 overall) travels to Union on Dec. 28.
James Kenan 74, North Duplin 58
* WARSAW -- James Kenan opened the game with a 27-point first quarter outburst and never looked back in a 74-58, non-conference win over North Duplin on Monday night.
Breyon Johnson led the Rebels with 16 points on the night. Devin Oliver added 14 points and James Kornegay finished with 10 points.
Dontrill Hyman paced the James Kenan offense with 24 points. Jeremy Smith added 16 points.
North Duplin (2-4 overall) is the guest of Union on Dec. 28.
Whiteville 43, Southern Wayne 41
* TEACHEY -- Southern Wayne never got its offense going in a 43-41 defeat against Whiteville in the opening round of the Wallace-Rose Hill Holiday Tournament.
Southern Wayne plays South Brunswick in the consolation game today at 5:30 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- South Johnston girls defeat Princeton in title game
- Spring Creek girls notch second win of season
- Gators' Thomas torches KIPP for career-best 43 points
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Southern Wayne boys top South Brunswick
- Unbeaten Dogs roll past county foe South Johnston ... again
- Cougar boys weather fourth-quarter rally
- Golden Falcon girls slip past Goldsboro
- Aycock - Goldsboro wrestling
- Goldsboro-C.B. Aycock wrestling box