By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 31, 2010 1:47 PM
Princeton 86, South Creek 36
* ROBERSONVILLE -- Ben Jacobs captured tournament Most Valuable Player honors as Princeton won the South Creek Holiday Tournament championship on Thursday.
The Dawgs beat their hosts 86-36, behind a 35-point, 23-rebound night from Jacobs.
C.J. Jeffreys added 16 points and seven assists for Princeton. Wes Wood chipped in 11 points.
Princeton opens Carolina 1-A Conference play on Jan.7 when Spring Creek visits "The Dawg House."
James Kenan 89, North Duplin 47
* CALYPSO -- James Kenan opened a double-digit lead in the first quarter and never looked back in an 89-47 win over North Duplin on Thursday night.
Jeremy Smith led the Tigers with 21 points. James Owens added 17 points.
Devin Oliver paced the Rebels with 20 points. Breyon Johnson added 13 markers in the defeat.
North Duplin (2-5 overall) travels to Goldsboro on Jan.7.
C.B. Aycock 46, Rosewood 33
* Rosewood jumped out to an early lead but could not hold back the C.B. Aycock offense as the Golden Falcons escaped with a 46-33 non-conference win on Thursday night.
The Eagles led 8-7 after one period, but the visitors took over in the second period and seized an eight-point halftime lead.
Imari Howell paced the Golden Falcons (8-4 overall) with 17 points. Courtnei Gilbert added 10 points and Kayla Newsome chipped-in six points.
Alicia Burns led the Eagles with 11 points. Anna Ingram added eight points before leaving with a leg injury in the fourth quarter.
C.B. Aycock plays host to Cleveland High School on Tuesday. Rosewood travels to Ayden-Grifton on Jan. 7.
Southern Wayne 41
* Goldsboro survived a late surge and held on for a 44-41 non-conference win over Southern Wayne on Thursday night.
The Saints closed the game on a 12-4 run.
Kasheika Wallace led the Cougars with 15 points and 14 rebounds. Brandy Johnson added 11 points.
Southern Wayne's Danielle Carlton scored a game-high 16 points.
Goldsboro (8-3) begins Carolina 1-A Conference play at home on Jan. 7 against North Duplin. The Saints entertain Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
James Kenan 48, North Duplin 42
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin out-played James Kenan for three quarters, but it wasn't enough as the Tigers captured a 48-42 win on Thursday night.
Deneccia Miller led the James Kenan offense with 11 points. Candice Vann added 10 points.
Angelica Favela scored a season-high 20 points for North Duplin. Tierra Ammons added nine points.
North Duplin (0-7 overall) travels to Goldsboro on Jan. 7.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 70, Southern Wayne 56 -- Quavis Holloman led the Cougars with 15 points. Shahim Muhammed added 14 points in the win. Goldsboro won for the second time in two days after defeating Eastern Wayne on Wednesday.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 46, Rosewood 25 -- Michael Williams scored 16 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for the Golden Falcons. Michael Kearney added eight points. C.B. Aycock (9-1) entertians Cleveland on Tuesday.