Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 5, 2011 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 45, Cleveland 35
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock improved to 4-0 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 45-35 victory over league newcomer Cleveland on Tuesdasy evening.
Imari Howell led the Golden Falcons with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Kelby Dumond contributed 10 points.
Courtney Ireland scored a game-high 19 points for the Rams.
Aycock (9-4 overall) visits Eastern Wayne on Friday.
Southern Wayne 50,
Eastern Wayne 38
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne used a 19-4, third-quarter run as the springboard to a 50-38 win over Eastern Wayne in Eastern Carolina 3-A action on Tuesday night.
The Warriors carried a two-point lead into the intermission, but the Saints turned the tide behind some stingy fullcourt defense. Kanesha Jones delivered six straight points as the Saints pulled ahead for good.
Jones paced the Southern Wayne attack on the night with 16 points. Danielle Carlton added nine points.
Jasmine Benjamin led the Warriors with nine points. Brittany Scurlock added eight points.
Southern Wayne (4-7 overall, 3-0 ECC) travels to South Johnston on Friday night. Eastern Wayne (3-9, 1-2) plays host to C.B. Aycock.
Wayne Country Day 36, Harrells 33
* HARRELLS -- Wayne Country Day avenged its only loss of the season with a 36-33, non-conference win at Harrells Christian Academy on Tuesday night.
Freshman Karis Hawkins hit the game-winning basket for the Chargers.
Catherine Ford scored 15 points and pulled down eight rebounds. Sarah Best provided 10 points and four assits. Mack Thompson had eight rebounds, four points and three steals.
Wayne Country Day (7-1 overall) travels to Upper Room on Friday night.
Cape Fear Christian 34,
Wayne Christian 32
* Cape Fear Christian's Erica Holmes hit a jump shot with less than a second to play to seal a 34-32, Carolina Christian 1-A Conference win at Wayne Christian on Tuesday night.
Katie Isenhower scored 14 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for the Eagles. Kayla Kennedy supplied eight points, and Summer Brathwaite had 10 rebounds and four points.
Wayne Christian (2-7 overall, 1-3 CCC) visits Community Christian on Thursday.
Rocky Mount Prep 54,
Spring Creek 34
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Janna Price led the Gators with 16 points, while Alyssa Borja scored six points.
Spring Creek (2-11 overall) entertains Princeton on Friday.
Rosewood 54, Wilson Fike 25
* WILSON -- Rosewood recorded five forfeits and won four individual contested matches in a 54-25, non-conference triumph over short-handed Wilson Fike on Tuesday evening.
Zach Behrend remained unbeaten in 22 outings with a first-period fall over the Golden Demons' Everado Araujo at 130 pounds. Teammates Nick Quillen (125 pounds), Jacob Holliday (103) and Josh Pipkin each pinned their respective opponent.
Chris Lane, Angel Jaramillo, Will Sawrey, Bobby Semler and heavyweight Jacob Guthrie each collected a forfeit.
Rosewood (19-2 overall) returns to action Saturday in the Carolina/4 Rivers Conference duals at Ayden-Grifton. The day-long event will determine the league's automatic qualifiers to the N.C. High School Athletic Association dual-team playoffs.
Faith Christian 74, Trinity Christian 68, OT
* Faith Christian outscored Trinity Christian 10-4 in overtime on its way to a 74-68 win on Tuesday night.
Silas Denlinger and Aaron Hill led the Conquerors with 16 points apiece. Connor Anderson supplied 15 points and Matthew Lambert scored 12 points.
Faith (7-4) is competing in a tournament in Monroe on Friday.
Wayne Country Day 64, Harrells 49
* HARRELLS -- Josh Gregory scored 29 points and pulled down eight rebounds to lead Wayne Country Day to a 64-49, non-conference win at Harrells Christian Academy on Tuesday night.
Brandon McCarter added nine points and Tyson Pearson had eight points, nine rebounds and five steals. Wayne Country Day (9-3 overall) plays host to a team from Australia tonight.
Wayne Christian 46, Cape Fear Christian 39
* Junior Chase Darden returned from an injury to score 17 points in Wayne Christian's 46-39 victory over Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday evening.
Chase King contributed 12 points and six rebounds. Tyler Mooring provided nine points and five assists.
The Eagles (3-7 overall) visit Community Christian on Thursday.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 49, Cleveland 29 -- Aycock's Michael Williams scored 20 points and pulled down nine rebounds. Jarius Whitlock and Trae Woodard each provided eight points. Whitlock also had four assits. The Golden Falcons (10-1 overall, 4-0 ECC) visit Eastern Wayne on Friday.
* Girls' basketball: C.B. Aycock 38, Cleveland 8 -- Quanika Artis led the Golden Falcons (6-3 overall, 3-1 ECC) with 10 points. Kennedy Perkins provided eight points.
* Girls' basketball: Rosewood 32, Grantham 15 -- Krystal Yelverton led the Eagles with 13 points. Lexi Mercer added eight points. Rosewood (8-0 overall) visits Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Prep digest -- WCS girls, WCDS boys endure road defeats
- Wayne Christian-Bethel box scores
- Area basketball games rescheduled
- Wayne Christian boys turn back Bethel Christian
- Trojans' trip to Banner Elk postponed
- Reed, Montgomery, James earn All-State honors from NCpreps.com
- MOC women sink key free throws in win, men fall short
- Local Preps Digest
- Falcon Invitational preview
- Thursday preps