By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on January 6, 2011 2:02 PM
Eastern Wayne emerged victorious in just three individual matches, but turned back short-handed Triton, 51-21, on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference wrestling scene.
The Warriors (10-7 overall, 2-0 ECC) drew six forfeits on the night.
Nolan Kirkwood (140 pounds) and heavyweight Calvin Christian each pinned their respective opponent. Austin Helm pulled out a 7-5 decision over the Hawks' William Wright at 152.
"Austin wrestled one of his best matches of the year, bumping up to face a strong 152-pounder," said Eastern Wayne head coach Jonathan Jones. "The guys who did wrestle, wrestled well. The losses we had were by first-year guys who made some fixable mistakes. The veterans all had strong showings and won their matches."
Brice Heller, Tyshawn Koonce, Craig Smith, Brandon Gray, Aaron Bott and James Barrett each collected a forfeit for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne returns to action Saturday in the Falcon Invitational at Charles B. Aycock. The tournament begins at 9:15 a.m.
Southern Wayne 22
* CLAYTON -- Southern Wayne collected four individual victories in a 54-22 loss at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference newcomer Cleveland.
The Saints' Tevin Pride (145 pounds) and Jamison Dove (152) each pinned their respective opponents. Ethan Brogden (160) and heavyweight Deonta Hayes recorded a major decision and forfeit, respectively.
Cleveland (7-10 overall, 1-1 ECC) drew four forfeits and prevailed in five of eight contested matches.
Southern Wayne (2-9, 1-1) returns to action Saturday in the Falcon Invitational at C.B. Aycock.
Other Local Sports
- Prep digest -- WCS girls, WCDS boys endure road defeats
- Wayne Christian-Bethel box scores
- Area basketball games rescheduled
- Wayne Christian boys turn back Bethel Christian
- Trojans' trip to Banner Elk postponed
- Reed, Montgomery, James earn All-State honors from NCpreps.com
- MOC women sink key free throws in win, men fall short
- Local Preps Digest
- Falcon Invitational preview
- Thursday preps