Prep digest -- WCS girls, WCDS boys endure road defeats
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 9, 2011 1:51 AM
Bethel Christian 44,
Wayne Christian 30
* Wayne Christian never recovered from a frigid first quarter en route to a 44-30 loss to Bethel Christian on Saturday afternoon.
The Eagles managed just two points in the first eight minutes of the game and fell behind by double digits early in the second period.
Improved defense as well as improved offensive execution helped the Eagles cut the visitors' lead to eight points early in the third quarter. But Bethel pulled away.
Haley Moody paced the victors with 18 points.
Kayla Kennedy led the Wayne Christian attack with 10 points. Carly Hightower added six points on a pair of 3-point baskets.
Wayne Christian (3-8 overall) entertains Trinity-Raleigh on Tuesday.
Upper Room 66,
Wayne Country Day 62
* RALEIGH -- Hil Tanner led four Wayne Country Day players in double figures with 17 points in a 66-62, non-conference loss to Upper Room Christian Academy on Friday evening.
Brandon McCarter (six assists, seven rebounds) and Tyson Pearson chipped in 12 and 11 points, respectively. Josh Gregory provided 10 points, while Arron Forde contributed eight points and six rebounds.
Cody Neal scored four points.
Weather permitting, the Chargers (10-4 overall) open their Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference season Tuesday at Faith Christian-Rocky Mount.
Other Local Sports
- MOC men's volleyball preview
- WCDS swimming
- Friday preps
- MOC hoops
- George Whitfield Hall of Fame
- WAVE volleyball: Tsunami 14U goes 1-3 in Greensboro
- Falcon Invitational -- Warrior matmen have good day
- Falcon Invitational -- Brogden logs Saints' best finish
- Trojan men turn back LMC in Conference Carolinas play
- Faith Christian girls finish runner-up at New Year's Invitational