By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 15, 2011 11:29 PM
Southern Wayne 67,
North Lenoir 52
* LaGRANGE -- Southern Wayne improved to 11-3 on the season with a 67-52 win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir on Friday night.
Tony Smith led the Saints with 19 points. Bernard Gross supplied 18 points and Delfawn Worrells provided 12 points and six assists. Carlos Council grabbed 13 rebounds.
Maurice Morgan scored 18 points and collected 10 rebounds for the Hawks. Jay Sutton finished with 15 points.
Southern Wayne (3-1 ECC) entertains Charles B. Aycock on Thursday. North Lenoir (9-7, 3-2) travels to Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
North Duplin 55,
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin escaped with a 55-54 win in its Carolina 1-A Conference opener with visiting Ayden-Grifton on Friday night.
Breyon Johnson finished with 17 points for the Rebels. James Kornegay contributed 13 points and Marcus Kornegay had 10 points. Rondell Bell paced the Chargers with 12 points.
North Duplin (3-5, 1-0 CC) visits Rosewood on Jan. 21.
Spring Creek 50, Rosewood 47
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Adam Haggerty hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to lift Spring Creek to a 50-47 victory over Carolina 1-A Conference foe Rosewood on Friday night.
Haggerty finished with 20 points and 11 rebounds. Deshar Thomas added 10 points.
"I was extremely proud of our guys and the fight that they showed the entire game,"Soring Creek head coach Taylor Jones said. "They were determined to start our conference season off strong. We know that we have been overlooked some, but with some of our guys returning to the lineup from injuries, I believe that our confidence is beginnning to grow."
Dee Mabry scored eight points for the Eagles.
Rosewood (7-3, 0-1 CC) travels to Goldsboro on Tuesday while the Gators (4-8, 1-0) visit Ayden-Grifton.
C.B. Aycock 44,
Eastern Wayne 35
* Charles B. Aycock withstood a late charge from Eastern Wayne and earned a 44-35, Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference win Friday night.
The Warriors trimmed a 40-28 deficit to 42-35 late in the fourth quarter but got no closer.
Imari Howell led the Golden Falcons with 17 points and 11 rebounds. Ivy Hartzell added 13 points and eight rebounds.
Brooke Doherty scored nine points for Eastern Wayne. Janielle Daniel provided eight points.
Aycock (10-4 overall, 5-0 ECC) visits Southern Wayne on Thursday, while Eastern Wayne (2-11, 0-4) entertains North Lenoir.
Goldsboro 40, Princeton 27
* PRINCETON -- Goldsboro survived an early scare from Princeton in the Carolina 1-A Conference opener for both schools Friday night.
The Cougars eventually pulled away for a 40-27 victory, but early in the game the Dawgs hung tough on their home floor. Princeton led 11-9 after one quarter.
Goldsboro quickly erased the slim deficit and claimed an eight-point lead at the intermission. The teams traded baskets through a stagnant third quarter before the visitors pulled away late.
Brandy Johnson paced the Cougars' attack with 13 points. Jolan Williams added seven points and Kasheika Wallace tallied six points.
Savanna Massengill led the Princeton offense with nine points.
Princeton (3-10 overall, 0-1 CC) entertains Spring Creek on Thursday. Goldsboro (9-3, 1-0) plays host to Rosewood on Tuesday.
Cresset Christian 52,
Wayne Christian 35
* Wayne Christian never found the shooting touch in a 52-35 loss to Cresset Christian on Friday night.
Summer Brathwaite paced the Eagles with 10 points and six rebounds. Kayla Kennedy, Brooke Barfield and Katie Isenhower each added six points in the defeat.
Wayne Christian (2-11 overall) plays host to Grace of Raleigh on Tuesday night.
North Lenoir 52,
Southern Wayne 32
* LaGRANGE -- Kristen Davenport scored a game-high 18 points to lead North Lenoir to a 52-32 victory over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Southern Wayne on Friday evening.
Danielle Carlton finished with 15 points for the Saints.
The Hawks (6-10, 2-3 ECC) visit Eastern Wayne on Tuesday night. Southern Wayne (5-9, 2-2) plays host to Charles B. Aycock on Thursday.
North Duplin 34
* CALYPSO -- Ayden-Grifton held on for a 37-34 win at Carolina 1-A Conference foe North Duplin on Friday evening.
Angelica Favela, Jessica Jones and Tearra Ammons each scored seven points for the Rebels.
Derrica Jones led the Chargers with 14 points.
North Duplin (0-8, 0-1 CC) travels to Rosewood on Jan. 21.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 50, Eastern Wayne 31 -- Michael Williams led the Golden Falcons with 12 points and eight rebounds. Cameron Johnson added 11 points and nine rebounds. Greg Williams distributed nine assists, Aycock (11-1, 5-0 ECC) visits Southern Wayne on Thursday.
* Girls' basketball: North Lenoir 35, Southern Wayne 24 -- Sharonne Maultsby paced the Saints with nine points.