By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on January 21, 2011 1:47 PM
Southern Wayne 51, C.B. Aycock 45
* DUDLEY -- Charles B. Aycock tried to play zone defense, but Danielle Carlton shot them out of it.
The Golden Falcons tried to play man-to-man, but Kaneisha Jones ran them out of that too.
In the end, Southern Wayne converted on key second-half possessions and pulled off a 51-46 upset in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference ranks Thursday night.
"I am so proud of my girls for battling hard the whole game and getting a big win," said Saints head coach Ricky Lofton. "I thought we did a nice job with our press in the second half and we were able to convert some easy opportunities into points."
Carlton finished with a game-high 18 points to lead the Southern Wayne attack. Jones added 13 points and point guard Nijah Mahammed finished with an efficient six points and seven assists.
Ivy Hartzell paced the Golden Falcon attack with 12 points and eight rebounds. Imari Howell added 11 points and six boards.
C.B. Aycock (10-5 overall, 5-1 ECC) plays host to Triton tonight. Southern Wayne (5-8, 3-2) visits Triton on Tuesday.
Upper Room 61,
Wayne Country Day 44
* Wayne Country Day couldn't overcome 28 turnovers in a 61-44, non-conference loss to visiting Upper Room on Thursday night.
Catherine Ford led the Chargers with 23 points. Sarah Best provided 10 points and Mack Thompson had nine.
Wayne Country Day (9-3 overall) entertains Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Tuesday.
* Rosewood suffered a 43-23 loss to Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Ayden-Grifton on Thursday evening.
Freshman Haley Mercer scored nine points for the Eagles. Fellow Freshman Alicia Burns had six points.
Rosewood (1-10 overall, 1-1 CC) plays host to North Duplin tonight.
* Rosewood improved to 1-1 in Carolina 1-A Conference play with a 55-48 victory over visiting Ayden-Grifton on Thursday night.
Jyante Raynor led the Eagles with 12 points. Cody Harris provided 11 points and Jacquez Raynor had 10 points.
Rosewood (8-3 overall) plays host to conference foe North Duplin tonight.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 55, C.B. Aycock 54 -- Michael Williams paced the Golden Falcons with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Greg Williams added 12 points and seven assists. Aycock (12-1 overall, 6-0 ECC) continues Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play tonight at home against Triton.
* Girls' basketball: Southern Wayne 40, C.B. Aycock 33 -- The Saints' Sharonne Maultsby led all scorers' with 15 points. Latricia Johnson supplied nine points. Quanika Artis led the Golden Falcons with 11 points and Audrina Lynch had 10. Aycock entertains Triton tonight while Southern Wayne visits Triton on Tuesday.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 28, Grantham 15 -- Taylor Daniels scored 10 points for Norwayne and Myleah Jones contributed eight. Grantham's Zaria Atkins finished with a game-high 11 points. Norwayne (7-3 overall) entertains Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 9, Neuse Charter 8 -- Jody Gurley led the Eagles with six points and Hunter Kaler had three.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Trojans put away Flying Fleet
- Princeton-North Duplin boxes
- Manley's free throws lift North Duplin
- Lady Bulldogs hold off Rebels
- Princeton earns home win
- prep basketball boxes
- Hot Stove banquet set for Jan. 31
- Mount Olive women dominate Erskine
- Eastern Wayne rallies past South Johnston