Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 26, 2011 1:47 PM
Southern Wayne 49, Triton 47
* ERWIN -- Carlos Council's basket at the buzzer lifted Southern Wayne to a 49-47 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference win at Triton on Tuesday night.
Delfawn Worrells led the Saints with 17 points. Khari Faison provided 10 points and 13 rebounds.
Southern Wayne (13-3 overall, 5-1 ECC) visits South Johnston on Thursday.
Eastern Wayne 53, Cleveland 52
* CLAYTON -- A potential game-tying 3-point basket in the closing moments of regulation was ruled a two-pointer and Eastern Wayne escaped with a 53-52, Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference victory at Cleveland on Tuesday night.
The Warriors led 53-50 in the final seconds as Rams' guard Julian Lee drained what appeared to be the game-tying 3-pointer. Officials ruled that Lee's foot was on the 3-point line and Eastern Wayne hung on for the win.
Robert Washington led Eastern Wayne with 11 points. Sophomore guard Lee Atkinson contributed 10 points, while Byron Thompson had seven points.
Lee finished with a game-high 25 points.
The Warriors (10-5 overall, 5-1 ECC) travels Triton on Thursday.
North Lenoir 50, C.B. Aycock 42
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir held off Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Charles B. Aycock 50-42 on Tuesday night.
Jaquan Williams led the Hawks with 11 points and Devonte Sutton supplied eight points.
Randall Fulghum scored 13 points for the Golden Falcons. Brandon Winford and Cameron Rowe both had 11 points.
North Lenoir (10-8 overall, 4-3 ECC) plays host to Triton on Friday, while Aycock (3-14, 2-6) entertains South Johnston.
Spring Creek 72, North Duplin 70
* CALYPSO -- Spring Creek slipped past Carolina 1-A Conference foe North Duplin on Tuesday night.
DeShar Thomas led the Gators with 27 points. Kenneth Freeman supplied 17 points and Adam Haggerty had 10 points.
Devin Oliver scored 22 points for the Rebels. Breyon Johnson had 18 points and Tyler Royal added 12.
North Duplin (4-7 overall, 2-2 CC) is the guest of Goldsboro tonight. Spring Creek (5-9, 2-1) plays host to Ayden-Grifton on Thursday.
Northwood Temple 40, Wayne Christian 22
* Anthony Mulligan led Wayne Christian with eight points in loss to Carolina Christian 1-A foe Northwood Temple.
Tyler Mooring provided six points.
The Eagles (5-13 overall, 3-8 CCC) visit Trinity Academy of Raleigh on Friday.
Goldsboro 61, Ayden-Grifton 45
* Goldsboro used a strong early defensive effort to jump in front of Carolina 1-A Conference rival Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday night.
The Cougars raced out to a comfortable lead in the first quarter and never looked back in a 61-45 victory. The win pushed the Cougars into first place atop the league standings.
Behind a string of layups by Alexus Myles and Kasheika Wallace, the Goldsboro offense rolled out to a 13-3 advantage.
Myles led the Goldsboro offense on the night with 19 points. Wallace added 15 points and 14 rebounds in the win. Jolan Williams added 12 points and seven boards.
Derrica Jones led Ayden-Grifton with 18 points and seven rebounds.
Goldsboro (11-3 overall, 3-0 CC) plays host to North Duplin tonight.
Wayne Country Day 40,
Faith Christian Rocky Mount 32
* Wayne Country Day outscored Faith Christian of Rocky Mount 16-1 in the second quarter and held on for a 40-32 win in Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference play Tuesday night.
Sarah Best paced the Chargers with 14 points. Catherine Ford added 11 points.
Sarah Bradsher scored a game-high 16 points for the Patriots.
Wayne Country Day (10-3 overall, 2-0 CPIC) visits Greenfield on Friday.
North Duplin 45, Spring Creek 16
* CALYPSO -- Jessica Jones led all scorers with 18 points as North Duplin rolled past Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Spring Creek 45-16 on Tuesday night.
Tearra Ammons supplied eight points for the Rebels.
Janna Price and Alyssa Boya each scored five points for the Gators.
North Duplin (2-9 overall, 2-2 CC) travels to Goldsboro today. Spring Creek (2-12, 0-3) entertains Ayden-Grifton on Thursday.
C.B. Aycock 34, North Lenoir 31
* LaGRANGE -- League-leading Charles B. Aycock edged Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent North Lenoir 34-31 on Tuesday night.
Point guard Courtnei Gilbert led the Golden Falcons with 15 points and six rebounds. Imari Howell had 11 points and 12 rebounds. Ivy Hartzell added eight points.
Aycock (12-5 overall, 7-1 ECC) plays host to South Johnston on Friday while North Lenoir (7-11, 3-4) entertains Triton.
Faith Christian 55, Berean 48
* Brianna Champion led the Conquerors with 25 points and Elizabethe Weeks added 10 points.
Victory Swain paced Berean with 20 points.
Faith (7-9 overall, 5-2) visits Berean on Feb. 1.
Rosewood sweeps tri-meet
* Senior night turned into a record-setting affair for the Rosewood High matmen Tuesday evening.
The Eagles recognized Jamie Wooten, Chris Campbell, Bobbe Semler, Bradley Mills, Josh Pipkin and Zach Behrend before claiming non-conference victories over Southwest Onslow (42-30) and Southern Nash (47-31).
Rosewood improved to 31-4 overall this season, and tied last year's dual-team win mark.
"This is a pretty significant milestone and the process of setting and attaining these small goals will help us reach our bigger goals along the way," said Rosewood head coach Bill Edmundson. "Southwest Onslow ... this was a great match for us because they are very strong where we are strong, and it pushed our guys, which is what we needed.
"Southern Nash has developed into a very good rivalry. Coach (Eddie) Coble's boys are very physical and they give us a different look than we're used to encountering."
Nick Quillen, Behrend, Tyler Thompson, Tyler Dean, Quadre Ayers, Pipkin, Wooten and Taylor McGill emerged victorious against SW Onslow. Quillen, Thompson, Behrend, Ayers, Dean, Pipkin, McGill and Angel Jaramillo each claimed an individual win against Southern Nash.
Rosewood returns to action Friday for a quad meet at Durham Jordan that also includes Raleigh Athens Drive and Raleigh Millbrook.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 53, Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 42 -- Dayton Meadows and Tyler Talton both scored 17 points for Wayne Country Day. Marlon Coley added 11 points. The Chargers (6-8 overall, 3-1 CPIC) play host to Pope John Paul on Thursday.
* Girls' basketball: Faith Christian 22, Berean 14 -- Molly Roebuck led Faith with five points. Kayla Johnson and Abigail Pierce each had four points. The Conquerors (3-3) travel to Berean on Feb. 1.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 39, Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 34 -- Preston Edwards led the Chargers with 20 points and Jamal Forde had seven points. Wayne Country Day (9-3, 4-0 CPIC) visit Greenfield on Friday.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS varsities drop CPIC contests at nemesis Greenfield
- Triton upends Eastern Wayne girls
- Saints girls hang on for ECC home win
- Southern Wayne hammers Cleveland, keeps ECC lead
- Wayne Christian girls get Carolina Christian 1-A win
- prep boxscores
- Princeton girls earn second straight league win
- No. 1-ranked Dogs avoid Gators' upset bid
- Rosewood girls drop league game at Ayden-Grifton
- Limestone men sweep regular-season series