Limestone men sweep regular-season series
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on January 30, 2011 1:51 AM
MOC Sports Information
GAFFNEY, S.C. -- Freshman Dory Hines flirted with his first-ever, triple-double, but Mount Olive endured a 78-71 loss to Limestone College on the Conference Carolinas men's basketball scene Saturday.
Hines, a Kinston High alum, recorded 16 points, seven rebounds and seven assists. Derek Staton emerged the Trojans' offensive leader with 22 points, while Brandon Allen supplied 14 points and a team-high eight rebounds.
Ewon Wright provided 10 points.
Limestone raced to a 19-point lead in the opening half, only to see Mount Olive close the gap to 44-33 at halftime. The Trojans grabbed a 58-56 lead with less than 10 minutes left in the second half.
The Saints (14-3 overall) used an 8-2 run to break open a tight game in the final two minutes, and claim a regular-season sweep of the Trojans.
Mount Olive (10-8 overall, 5-5 CC) entertains archrival Barton on Wednesday. Tip-off is 7:30 p.m. at Kornegay Arena.
Other Local Sports
- MOC indoor track
- Eastern Wayne at Louisburg duals
- Rosewood pins opponents at Durham Jordan
- CBA triumphs at DH Conley duals
- Eddie Smith enjoys 25 years at Faith
- WCDS varsities drop CPIC contests at nemesis Greenfield
- Triton upends Eastern Wayne girls
- Saints girls hang on for ECC home win
- Southern Wayne hammers Cleveland, keeps ECC lead
- Wayne Christian girls get Carolina Christian 1-A win