Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on February 2, 2011 1:47 PM
Goldsboro 69, Rosewood 28
* Talaya Lassiter and Alexus Myles each scored 22 points to lead Goldsboro past Carolina 1-A Conference foe Rosewood on Tuesday night.
The Cougars outscored the Eagles 24-6 in the first quarter and built a 37-12 lead by halftime.
Brandy Johnson finished with 11 points for Goldsboro.
Alicia Burns led Rosewood (2-13 overall, 2-4 CC) with seven points.
The Cougars (14-3, 6-0) entertain Princeton on Friday night, while the Eagles play host to Spring Creek.
Eastern Wayne 57, Southern Wayne 47
* Eastern Wayne got off to a hot start and never looked back in a 57-47 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Southern Wayne on Tuesday night in New Hope.
Jasmine Benjamin scored 11 of her game-high 19 points in the first quarter as the Warriors built a slim 15-14 advantage. Intense full-court pressure helped the Warriors to improve their lead to six points at the intermission.
Brittany Scurlock added 14 points for Eastern Wayne. Janielle Daniel finished with seven points.
Eastern Wayne (4-13 overall, 2-6 ECC) will host North Lenoir tonight.
Dikeya Cox led the Southern Wayne attack with 11 points. Danielle Carlton added 10 points in the defeat. The Saints (6-10, 4-5) play host to South Johnston on Friday night.
C.B. Aycock 44, Cleveland 29
* CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock improved to 9-1 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 44-29 win at Cleveland on Tuesday night.
Imari Howell scored 12 points for the Golden Falcons and Ivy Hartzell had 10.
Aycock (14-5 overall, 9-1 ECC) entertains Eastern Wayne on Friday.
Princeton 47, North Duplin 29
* CALYPSO -- Princeton earned a 47-29 win at North Duplin in Carolina 1-A Conference play on Tuesday evening.
Savanna Massengill paced the Bulldogs with 16 points and Amber Brush had 11. Nicole Melvin added nine points.
Angelica Favela finished with 12 points for the Rebels and Briana Oliver added 10.
Princeton (6-12 overall, 3-3) is the guest of Spring Creek tonight. North Duplin (2-12, 2-5) travels to Ayden-Grifton on Friday night.
South Johnston 45, North Lenoir 39
* LaGRANGE -- Whitney Williams finished with 17 points and Courtney Woods added 15 to lead South Johnston to a 45-39 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference win at North Lenoir on Tuesday evening.
Dashona Cox and Ta-Breia Foster both scored eight points for the Hawks.
North Lenoir (7-13 overall, 3-6) travels to Eastern Wayne today.
Cape Fear Christian 45, Wayne Christian 34
* WILMINGTON -- Wayne Christian couldn't hold on to an early fourth-quarter lead in a 45-34 loss at Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday evening.
Brooke Barfield led the Eagles with 10 points. Kayla Kennedy had nine points. Carly Hightower grabbed seven rebounds.
Wayne Christian plays host to Community Christian on Friday.
Princeton 90, North Duplin 64
* CALYPSO -- No. 1-ranked Princeton remained unbeaten with a 90-64 rout of Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Princeton on Tuesday night.
Senior Ben Jacobs scored 37 points and pulled down 15 rebounds for the Bulldogs. Justin Foy contributed 14 points and seven rebounds. Austin Jacobs had 10 points and C.J. Jefferys distributed 14 assists to go with nine points.
Devin Oliver scored 19 points for the Rebels. Breyon Johnson finished with 15 points and Tyler Royal had 11.
Princeton (19-0 overall, 6-0 CC) visits Spring Creek today. North Duplin (4-10, 2-5) travels to Ayden-Grifton on Friday.
C.B. Aycock 61, Cleveland 44
* CLAYTON -- Brandon Winford led three players in double figures with 17 points as Charles B. Aycock defeated Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Cleveland 61-44 on Tuesday night.
Derrick Lofton scored 14 points for the Golden Falcons and Randall Fulghum had 12.
Julian Reed finished with a game-high 19 points for the Rams.
Aycock (5-14, 4-6) plays host to Eastern Wayne on Friday night.
North Lenoir 43, South Johnston 37
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir held off Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent South Johnston 43-37 on Tuesday night.
Maurice Morgan led the Hawks with 12 points and Jay Sutton provided 10.
North Lenoir (11-9 overall, 5-4 ECC) visits Eastern Wayne tonight.
Faith Christian 61, Berean Christian 59
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Faith Christian overcame an 18-point third-quarter deficit and snuck out of Berean Christian with a 61-59 win on Tuesday night.
Wes Caudle poured in 27 points for the Conquerors. Matt Lambert chipped in 12 points and Aaron Hill had seven.
Faith (15-5 overall) plays host to Calvary Baptist on Thursday night.
Wayne Christian 63, Cape Fear Christian 52
* WILMINGTON -- Wayne Christian picked up a 63-52 win at Carolina Christian 1-A foe Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday night.
Tyler Mooring scored 14 points for the Eagles and Chase Darden contributed 13 points. Jordan Crouthamel supplied 11 points and Chase King finished with 19 points. Chandler Harrell had nine points.
Wayne Christian (6-14 overall, 4-9 CCC) play host to Community Christian on Friday night.
Cleveland 42, Eastern Wayne 36
* CLAYTON -- League newcomer Cleveland emerged victorious in seven of 11 contested matches, and shocked Eastern Wayne 42-36 in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season finale for both teams Tuesday evening.
The Rams (13-11 overall, 4-1 ECC) clinched their first-ever appearance in the N.C. High School Athletic Association dual-team playoffs, which begin Feb. 8. The Warriors (16-11, 3-2) are eligible for wild-card status in the postseason.
Cleveland recorded five falls, two decisions and drew one forfeit.
Eastern Wayne got pins from Nolan Kirkwood, Quadrick Williams, Austin Helm and heavyweight Calvin Christian. Teammates Jason Reid and James Barrett collected forfeits at 135 and 215 pounds, respectively.
The teams return to action Saturday in the season-ending ECC Championships at Charles B. Aycock. Opening-round matches begin at 9:30 a.m.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 64, Rosewood 36 -- Shahim Muhammad led the Cougars with 15 points. Quaviis Holloman scored 14 points and Rodney Cook and Wesley Tilley each had 13.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 47, Cleveland 30 -- Cameron Johnson scored 13 points and grabbed eight rebounds for the Golden Falcons. Michael Williams added 11 points and eight rebounds and Greg Williams had 11 points and nine assists. Aycock (14-3, 8-2) entertains Eastern Wayne on Friday.
* Girls' basketball: C.B. Aycock 36, Cleveland 25 -- Quanika Artis paced the Golden Falcons with 13 points. Lindsey Sutton had eight points and Raquelle Lawrence added seven.
* Girls' basketball: Rosewood 34, Dillard 32 -- Rosewood claimed the Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference Division I championship. Lexi Mercer scored 19 points. Krystal Yelverton (nine points), Alyssa Garrison (four points) and Callie Thornton (two points) contributed the season-ending win. The Eagles posted a 14-0 record with head coach Rick Grantham.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 50, St. Mary's 44 -- Seth Harrell and Hunter Burt both scored 20 points for the Eagles. Wayne Christian (5-7 overall) plays host to Community Christian on Friday.