By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on February 7, 2011 1:47 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Jarvis Karchewski handled the "quarterback" duties and Angel Dache provided the offensive spark in Mount Olive's 25-20, 25-22, 25-20 triumph over in-state, men's volleyball nemesis Lees-McRae College.
Karchewski passed out 30 assists and logged four blocks for the Trojans, who improved to 6-2 overall and 2-0 in Conference Carolinas play this season. Dache pounded out 11 kills, while John Nunns posted a match-best seven blocks to go along with five kills.
Outside hitter Adam Miracle, the lone returning starter from a year ago, supplied seven kills. Benedikt Schirmers registered a match-high nine digs defensively.
Bjorn Metzger's service ace spearheaded MOC's early third-set run.
Lees-McRae forged ahead 9-8 that included blocks from all-conference performer Chad Mercado and Matt Harpenau. The teams traded ties before Bobcat miscues allowed the Trojans to seize control.
Dache's service run put MOC in front and Nunns tallied the final two points to complete the three-set sweep.
The Trojans travel to Eastern Mennonite (Va.) University on Wednesday. MOC won the first meeting in straight sets.
Other Local Sports
- Goldsboro clears glass against Spring Creek, pulls down season-high 49 rebounds
- Chargers' Elmore takes 50- and 100-yard free events
- Triton boys upend Eastern Wayne
- C.B. Aycock-Jacksonville, Rosewood-Dixon wrestling boxes
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Trojans' Manning named Conference Carolinas baseball player-of-the-week
- Jacksonville matmen stun Aycock in dual-team playoffs
- MOC softball ready for the season to start
- Mount Olive falls to Pfeiffer
- Trojan women best Falcons in OT