Chargers' Elmore takes 50- and 100-yard free events
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on February 9, 2011 1:47 PM
Wayne Country Day senior Thomas Elmore emerged victorious in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle events in a season-ending meet contested at the Goldsboro Family Y.
Elmore edged Faith Christian's Carson O'Dell by two-tenths of a second to win the 50. Teammate Oliver Reimer ended up third.
Elmore came back later in the evening and posted a time of 59.01 seconds in the 100 -- nearly half a second ahead of meet runner-up Jon Schwartz, from Oakwood. Elmore and Reimer have qualified for the season-ending, N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 1-A Championships.
The Chargers' Ama Zbarcea took 11th in the girls' 50 free. Teammates Dalton Kennedy, Rebecca Buchanan and Kate Thompson captured spots 12 through 14, respectively.
Elizabeth Schappell was 18th.
The 400 free relay of Dalton, Bethany Stoutamire, Thompson and Buchanan placed third in 5:40.09.
Other Local Sports
- Goldsboro boys earn share of Carolina 1-A Conference title
- Lady Cougars clinch conference championship
- Prep basketball boxes
- Trojans earn softball, basketball victories
- Princeton boys complete comeback at Rosewood
- Greenfield rolls past Wayne Country Day
- MOC men snap five-game losing streak
- Knox leads MOC past Carson-Newman
- C.B. Aycock-Southern Wayne basketball box scores
- Capps, Knox on Martinez "watch list"