Capps, Knox on Martinez "watch list"
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on February 11, 2011 1:47 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive College pitcher Carter Capps and designated hitter Michael Knox are among players on the "watch list" for the 2011 Tino Martinez Award, which is presented to the Division II baseball national player-of-the-year.
The award, administered by College Baseball Lineup, is named for the three-time collegiate All-American, who starred at the University of Tampa. Martinez later played in two Major League All-Star games and won four World Series titles with the New York Yankees.
Capps continued his collegiate unbeaten streak in his first outing this season -- a no-decision as the No. 5-ranked Trojans downed Lenoir-Rhyne in Mount Olive's season debut last week.
In his 2011 debut, Knox picked right back up where he left off a year ago, collecting a home run and three RBI in each of the Trojans' first two games of the year. Through three games, Knox is also batting .586 and has scored seven times.
MOC travels to Lander (S.C.) University this weekend. The Trojans will face Carson-Newman and a pair of former Division II College World Series champions -- Lynn University (2009) and perennial power Tampa (2007).
Other Local Sports
- Tampa cruises past MOC
- Ware, Bradshaw deliver for Trojans
- C.B. Aycock's Hall seizes 1-meter diving crown
- Coggins: Archrival delivers stunning blow, Jones looks for response
- Goldsboro boys earn share of Carolina 1-A Conference title
- Lady Cougars clinch conference championship
- Prep basketball boxes
- Trojans earn softball, basketball victories
- Princeton boys complete comeback at Rosewood
- Greenfield rolls past Wayne Country Day