Area preps digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on February 16, 2011 1:47 PM
Rosewood 46, Spring Creek 35
* AYDEN -- Rosewood pulled away in the second half and eliminated Spring Creek with a 46-35 win during first-round play of the Carolina 1-A Conference boys' basketball tournament at Ayden-Grifton High School.
The Eagles (11-9 overall) captured the league's final berth for the N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs. Rosewood continues conference tournament play Thursday at top-seeded Princeton.
Jacquez Raynor led Rosewood with 14 points and Cody Harris added 11. Jyante Raynor provided eight points.
Rashawn Edwards scored a game-high 15 points for the Gators, while Adam Haggerty had 12. Spring Creek concluded the season 6-16 overall.
North Duplin 66, Ayden-Grifton 58
* AYDEN -- Devin Oliver poured in 24 points and sixth-seeded North Duplin knocked off third-seeded Ayden-Grifton 66-58 during their first-round game in the Carolina 1-A Conference boys' basketball tournament.
The Rebels (5-13 overall) face second-seeded Goldsboro in the semifinals on Thursday at Princeton High School.
The Chargers defeated the Rebels by 28 points just over a week ago. On Tuesday night, Ayden-Grifton jumped out to a 16-7 lead before North Duplin stormed back.
The Rebels led 36-34 at halftime and three scorers joined Oliver in double figures. Breyon Johnson and James Kornegay both contributed 13 points. Marcus Kornegay supplied 10 points.
Other Local Sports
- Stunner: Rosewood upsets No. 1 Princeton
- Top-seeded Saints dispatch Aycock
- Goldsboro slows down game, eases into title contest
- Local Preps Digest
- Prep basketball boxes
- Stevens: Jones, Montgomery prove wins, losses aren't true formula for success today
- CB Aycock reaches ECC final
- Carolina 1-A Conference boxscores
- Ayden-Grifton edges Princeton
- Jones, Montgomery will go seperate ways