Local preps digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 2, 2011 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 6, Wilson Hunt 3
* WILSON -- Meredith Burroughs and Ivy Hartzell both hit home runs and Charles B. Aycock opened its season with a 6-3 non-conference victory at Wilson Hunt on Tuesday evening.
Burroughs got the Golden Falcons on the scoreboard with a home run in the first inning and she finished with two hits. Jessica Hare also provided two hits. Brooke Bell and Connor Davis were both 1 for 4 at the plate with an RBI. Reagan Herndon and Ashley Shingleton both had hits.
Hartzell delivered a two-run homer in the seventh inning.
Bell pitched a complete game and earned the win on the mound. She surrendered three runs (two earned) on seven hits with six strikeouts and five walks.
Aycock (1-0 overall) entertains D.H. Conley at 6:30 p.m. today.
Eastern Wayne 14, South Central 3
* WINTERVILLE -- Eastern Wayne erupted for six runs in the first two innings and never looked back in a 14-3, season-opening win at South Central on Tuesday afternoon.
Greg Simms collected two hits and four RBI for the Warriors and belted a thee-run home run. Wes Capps supplied two hits and two RBI. Jake May (two RBI), Logan Wicks (two RBI), Zack Mozingo and Ryan Faucette each had a hit.
Eastern Wayne benefited from 11 walks.
Mozingo picked up the win on the mound, surrendering three earned runs on seven hits with five strikeouts and two walks. Hunter Barnette and Logan Wicks combined for three innings of scoreless relief.
"We didn't walk a soul and we made just one error," said Warriors' head coach Jabo Fulghum. "That's encouraging. This time of year you want your pitching and defense to be ahead of your hitting. I thought our kids played very well."
Eastern Wayne (1-0 overall) visits D.H. Conley on Friday in the inaugural Pitt-Wayne Challenge.
Wilson Hunt 2, C.B. Aycock 1
* WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock was held to one hit and Jacob Page's game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning lifted Wilson Hunt to a 2-1 win on Tuesday afternoon.
Travis Musselman's RBI single in the third inning was the Golden Falcons' only hit. Aaron Champion started the game on the mound for Aycock and worked 4 2/3 scoreless innings. Champion allowed three hits with three strikeouts and two walks.
Derek Limbaugh was the tough-luck loser, surrendering two runs (one earned) on four hits with two strikeouts and two walks in 1 2/3 innings.
"It was a well-played game," said Golden Falcons' head coach Charles Davis. "Getting one hit, you're not going to beat many people I don't care who you play."
Aycock (0-1 overall) entertains Princeton on Thursday.
Wilson Hunt 8, Charles B. Aycock 2
* WILSON -- Wilson Hunt built a 6-0 halftime lead and cruised to an 8-2 non-conference win over Charles B. Aycock on Tuesday.
Cheyenne Warrick and Madison Mercer both scored in the second half for the Golden Falcons.
Aycock (1-1-0 overall) plays host to Princeton on Thursday.
Eastern Wayne 9, South Johnston 0
* FOUR OAKS -- Eastern Wayne opened its season with a 9-0 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference victory on Tuesday afternoon at South Johnston.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Mike Barnette, Steven Taylor, Rafael Guerra, Joseph Chaney and Rex Smith each recorded singles victories for the Warriors. The doubles teams of Fitzpatrick-Barnette, Guerra-Chaney and Taylor-Cole Newsome also prevailed.
Rastern Wayne (1-0 overall, 1-0 ECC) continues conference play Thursday at Cleveland.
C.B. Aycock 8, Triton 1
* ERWIN -- Charles B. Aycock earned an 8-1, season-opening win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Triton on Tuesday.
Will Hoff, Bradley Wilson, Michael Kearney, Austin Walker and Rex Rose each won their singles matches. Hoff, Kearney, Walker and Rose each prevailed without dropping a game. The tandems of Wilson-Walker, Hoff-Sam Pierce and Kearney-Rose were winners in doubles play.
"We're in a rebuilding phase this year and I was really pleased to win the season opener," said Golden Falcons' head coach Luke Vail. "Hopefully we will continue to improve with each match as we gain more experience."
Aycock (1-0 overall, 1-0 ECC) entertains Greene Central in non-conference play today.
* Girls' soccer: C.B. Aycock 2, Wilson Hunt 2 -- Cheyenne Craft scored twice for the Golden Falcons (0-0-1 overall).