Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 6, 2011 1:51 AM
C.B. Aycock 5, South Central 3
* GREENVILLE -- Mick Walker's two-run home run in the fourth inning woke up Charles B. Aycock and the Golden Falcons rallied for a 5-3 win over South Central on Saturday in the Pitt/Wayne Challenge at Guy Smith Stadium.
South Central led 3-0 after three innings before Walker's home run. Aycock tacked on three more runs in the fifth inning. Adam Pate and Bryant Stafford both had two hits.
Stafford earned the win on the mound in relief and Aaron Champion picked up the save. The Golden Falcons (2-1) begin Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play at Triton on Tuesday.
Spring Creek 14, North Pitt 2
* GREENVILLE -- Corey Howell tallied 10 strikeouts and Spring Creek (1-1) dominated North Pitt 14-2 in the Pitt/Wayne Challenge on Saturday at Guy Smith Stadium.
Howell surrendered one hit in five innings of work. Duane Gurgan pitched the final to innings. Ricky Brayboy had three hits and two RBI for the Gators. Gurganus supplied two hits and three RBI.
Eastern Wayne 6,
D.H. Conley 3
* GREENVILLE -- Dante Arthur's home run highlighted Eastern Wayne's offensive output in a 6-3 non-conference win at D.H. Conley on Friday.
Arthur finished with two hits and Zack Mozingo had two hits and three RBI. Wes Capps added two hits and an RBI. Logan Wicks earned the win on the mound.
Eastern Wayne begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Tuesday at South Johnston.
North Lenoir 13,
South Lenoir 11
* DEEP RUN -- Braian Hardy's game-winning home run in the eighth inning lifted North Lenoir to a 13-11 non-conference win at South Lenoir on Friday.
Hardy went 5 for 5 at the plate with two home runs and three RBI. Chastain Radford contributed four hits and two RBI. Rand Jackson supplied three hits and Jake Olenjiczha hit two three-run home runs.
Radford collected the win on the mound and allowed two runs on three hits with four strikeouts and one walk in three innings of work. John Delaney picked up the save by working the eighth inning.
The Hawks (2-0) begin Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Tuesday at home against Cleveland High School.
James Kenan 4, Lejuene 0
* WARSAW -- Tyler Haney tossed a no-hitter and struck out 10 batters as James Kenan defeated Lejuene 4-0 on Friday.
Haney just missed a perfect game with one walk. Ricky Langston, Kedron Foster, Gunnar Wolz (RBI), Andre Smith and T.J. Fullwood each had one hit for the Tigers.
James Kenan (1-2) plays host to North Duplin on Tuesday.
North Johnston 3,
C.B. Aycock 2
* KENLY -- North Johnston's Taylor Creech struck out 11 batters as the Panthers held off Charles B. Aycock 3-2 on Friday night.
Creech struck out eight out of the first nine batters she faced and allowed two runs with three walks.
Brooke Bell (RBI), Meredith Burroughs (RBI), Rachel Jordan and Amber Rose each had a hit for the Golden Falcons.
Bell suffered the loss in the pitcher's circle. She surrendered three unearned runs on five hits with five strikeouts and three walks in six innings.
Aycock (2-1) begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Tuesday at Triton.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 11, Princeton 0 -- Logan Brown and Ryan Grant (two RBI) both had two hits for the Golden Falcons. Ryder Gardner, Gregory Johnson and Dylon Hinnant each added a hit. Brown earned the win on the mound and allowed one hit with one strikeout in three shutout innings. Aycock (2-0) begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Tuesday at Triton.