Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on March 9, 2011 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 10, South Johnston 4
* FOUR OAKS -- Dante Arthur's home run highlighted Eastern Wayne's offensive production in a 10-4 win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe South Johnston on Tuesday.
Arthur went 2 for 2 at the plate with a homer, a double and two RBI. Zack Mozingo supplied two hits and two RBI.
Mozingo (2-0) earned the win on the mound, surrendering one earned run on four hits with six strikeouts and two walks in six innings of work.
The Warriors (3-0 overall, 1-0 ECC) entertain South Central today.
C.B. Aycock 7, Triton 2
* ERWIN -- Aaron Champion held Triton to one run over five innings and Charles B. Aycock began Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 7-2 win at Triton on Tuesday.
Champion surrendered one unearned run on two hits with six strikeouts and two walks.
Cameron Taylor and Justin Barbour each had two hits, including a double and an RBI. Bryant Stafford and Collin Dubose both added two hits.
Derek Limbaugh pitched the final two innings in relief and earned the save. Limbaugh allowed one earned run on two hits with two strikeouts and a walk.
Aycock (3-1 overall, 1-0 ECC) plays host to Wilson Hunt today.
North Lenoir 15, Cleveland 5,
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir opened Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 15-5 win over Cleveland in five innings on Tuesday.
Rand Jackson provided four hits and two RBI for the Hawks. Chastin Radford added three hits and an RBI. J.T. Williams (3 RBI), Spencer Bass (RBI) and Jake Olenjiczak each had two hits. Brian Hardy supplied two hits, including a three-run home run.
David Wiggins recorded the win on the mound. Wiggins surrendered two runs in 1 1/3 innings of relief.
North Lenoir (3-0 overall, 1-0 ECC) visits Kinston today.
Faith Christian 7, Bethel Christian 3
* KINSTON -- Michael Clarke pitched six strong innings and Faith Christian earned a 7-3 win at defending N.C. Christian Schools Association 2-A state champion Bethel Christian on Tuesday.
Clarke scattered seven hits and struck out three. Silas Denlinger went 2 for 4 at the plate with two runs scored for the Conquerors. Levi Wise walked three times and scored twice.
Faith (2-0 overall) plays host to Trinity Christian on Thursday.
Midway 15, Rosewood 5
* SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Midway avenged an earlier loss to Rosewood with a 15-5 win over the Eagles on Tuesday.
Ian Speight was 1 for 2 at the plate for the Eagles with two RBI. John Winslow had a double and an RBI. Cody Harris and Jonathan Franks each provided a hit.
Winslow suffered the loss on the mound allowing six runs (four earned) on six hits in 3 2/3 innings of work.
Rosewood (1-4 overall) visits Farmville Central on Thursday.
James Kenan 7, North Duplin 3
* WARSAW -- North Duplin was plagued by eight errors in a 7-3, non-conference loss at James Kenan on Tuesday.
Marcus Kornegay (RBI), Colby Gehron (RBI), Julio Mora (RBI) and Konner Brock each had a hit for the Rebels. Mitchell Thigpen took the loss on the mound.
North Duplin (2-1 overall) travels to Union today.
C.B. Aycock 12, Triton 7
* ERWIN -- Charles B. Aycock won an offense-filled affair, 12-7 at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton on Tuesday.
The two teams combined for 21 hits and eight errors.
Ashley Shingleton picked up the win in the pitcher's circle for the Golden Falcons. Shingleton pitched a complete game and surrendered seven earned runs on 11 hits with four strikeouts and a walk.
Meredith Burroughs had two hits and an RBI for Aycock. Ivy Hartzell added a hit and two RBI. Cierra Harris, Connor Davis, Kathleen Doughty and Jessica Hare each supplied a hit.
The Golden Falcons entertain Wilson Hunt today.
Cleveland 4, North Lenoir 1
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir suffered a 4-1 loss to Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Cleveland on Tuesday.
Nicole Robinson took the loss in the pitcher's circle. Robinson allowed five hits with three strikeouts and one walk in six innings.
Blythe Greene had three hits for the Hawks. Amber Best, Kristen Davenport, Liz Deal and Tori Howard all provided a hit.
North Lenoir (1-1 overall, 0-1 ECC) entertain Kinston today.
Midway 5, Rosewood 3
* Midway scored three runs in the seventh inning to rally past Rosewood for a 5-3 win on Tuesday.
Megan Tyndall went 2 for 3 at the plate for the Eagles. Scout Anderson was 1 for 2 with a double and two RBI.
Rosewood fell to 1-3 overall.
Eastern Wayne 2, South Johnston 0
* FOUR OAKS -- Janielle Daniel and Anne Reed Hulse both scored in the first half as Eastern Wayne defeated Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent South Johnston 2-0 on Tuesday night.
Daniel scored an unassisted goal in the 18th minute and Hulse's goal was unassisted in the 34th minute. The Warriors had a 12-4 advantage in shots on goal and a 6-0 edge in corner kicks.
Eastern Wayne (1-1-0 overall, 1-0-0 ECC) visits Cleveland on Friday.
C.B. Aycock 3, Triton 1
* ERWIN -- Cheyenne Warrick notched her second hat trick (three goals) of the season, and Charles B. Aycock dispatched Triton, 3-1, in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference contest Tuesday evening.
Warrick scored in the eighth, ninth and 39th minute. Sam Parrish assisted Warrick's first goal and Madison Mercer recorded the assist on the second goal.
Aycock outshot Triton, 24-5.
Casey Scarborough picked up four saves in goal.
The Golden Falcons (2-1-0 overall, 1-0-0 ECC) entertain perennial powerhouse Wilson Hunt today. Kickoff is 6 p.m. at Hardy Talton Stadium.
Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 3,
Wayne Christian 1
* ROCKY MOUNT-- Faith Christian jumped out to a 2-0 halftime lead and picked up a 3-1 win over Wayne Christian on Tuesday.
Brooke Barfield scored for the Eagles in the second half.
Courtney Barrow tallied 18 saves in goal.
Wayne Christian (0-1-0 overall) begins Carolina Christian 1-A Conference play on Friday at home against Trinity Christian.
Wayne Christian 9,
Faith-Rocky Mount 0
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Wayne Christian opened its season on Tuesday with a 9-0 win at Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Tuesday.
Christopher Easom, Daniel Glover, Woody Sasser, Kenneth Giordano, Nicholas Easom and Matthew Jackson each collected singles wins for the Eagles.
The teams of Christopher Easom-Glover, Sasser-Nicholas Easom and Giordano-Jackson prevailed in doubles play.
Wayne Christian travels to Rosewood on Thursday.
C.B. Aycock 9, South Johnston 0
* FOUR OAKS -- Charles B. Aycock cruised past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent South Johnston 9-0 on Tuesday.
Will Hoff, Addison Vail, Bradley Wilson, Michael Kearney, Austin Walker and Rex Rose all prevailed in singles play for the Golden Falcons. The doubles teams of Wilson-Walker, Sam Pierce-Sam Chastain and Kearney-Rose were also victorious.
Aycock (5-0 overall, 3-0 ECC) entertains Cleveland on Thursday.
Rosewood 123, Lakewood 81.5,
* Rosewood placed first in nine events and won a non-conference, tri-meet over Lakewood and Union on Tuesday with a team score of 123.
Lakewood finished second with a score of 81.5 and Union was third with 62.5 points.
The Eagles' Nick Britt finished first in both the 1600 and 3200 meter runs. Joshua Davis was first in the 800 meters with a time of two minutes, 19 seconds. Ricky Donahue used a jump of 9'0" to finish first in the pole vault. T.J. Frost's throw of 38'7" was good for first place in the shot put.
Antonio Henriques won both the triple jump and 400 meters. Rosewood's team of Jaylan Sneed, Brendan Trinidad, Britt and Davis prevailed in the 3200 meter relay with a time of 9:30. The Eagles also won the 1600 meter relay.
Rosewood entertains Bunn on Thursday.
Lakewood 54, Rosewood 52, Union 33, Wayne Country Day 5
* Lakewood just edged host Rosewood to claim a four-team meet on Tuesday afternoon.
The Leopards recorded a score of 54 and finished just ahead of the Eagles' 52 points. Union was third with a score of 33 and Wayne Country Day tallied five points.
Elise McSwain finished first for Rosewood in the triple jump and the 300 meter hurdles. Crystal Allen was first in the 100 meters and the 200 meters. Cierra Satterfield crossed the finish line ahead of the competition in the 1600 meters and Kasie Elliot won the 3200 meters.
Walnut Creek Ladies Association
* Charlotte Campbell claimed low gross honors during weekly tournament play on the Walnut Creek Country Club links. Joyce Reynolds and Penny Ritt seized low net and low putts, respectively.
Evelyn Rose emerged the low gross winner in the season-opening match. Linda Cannon and Faye Franklin captured low net and low putts, respectively.
* Baseball: Southern Wayne 10, Rocky Mount 4 -- Tyler Kelly (RBI) and Aaron Denning both had a hit for the Saints. Cody Wendorf pitch five innings and recorded the win on the mound. Southern Wayne (1-1 overall) plays host to Greene Central today.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 8, South Johnston 1 -- Tyler Huetter went 2 for 3 at the plate for the Warriors with a home run and two RBI. Grayson Wells (2 RBI), Derek Bott (RBI), Jeremy Lancaster and Dylan Corbett all had a hit. Lancaster earned the win on the mound with nine strikeouts in five shutout innings.