By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 10, 2011 1:47 PM
Southern Wayne 2, Greene Central 1
* SNOW HILL -- Southern Wayne scored two runs in the top of the fifth inning and held on for a 2-1 win over Greene Central on Wednesday afternoon.
Taylor Brock delivered the game's deciding hit, which allowed Kevin Wise and Zach Grantham to score. Wise and Grantham each tallied two hits in the game.
Jackson Hayes tossed six innings of shutout baseball to earn the win on the pitcher's mound in his first ever varsity start. Will Broadwell navigated the seventh inning for the save.
Southern Wayne (3-1 overall) plays host to Triton on Friday.
North Lenoir 15, Kinston 4
* KINSTON -- North Lenoir erupted for 15 hits in a 15-4 win over county rival Kinston on Wednesday afternoon.
The Hawks were led at the plate by Chastin Radford, Spencer Bass and Grayson Phillips, who each had three wins.
Caleb Kearney claimed the win on the pitcher's mound with five strong innings. Kearney allowed four runs on six hits and struck out three Kinston batters.
North Lenoir (4-0 overall) travels to Charles B. Aycock on Friday.
South Lenoir 5, Spring Creek 1
* DEEP RUN -- South Lenoir broke a 1-1 tie with four runs in the bottom of the fifth inning and went on to beat Spring Creek 5-1 on Wednesday afternoon.
Duane Gurganus suffered the hard-luck loss on the pitcher's mound despite allowing just three hits over fifve innings of work.
Zack Harrell tallied two hits including a double for the Gators.
Spring Creek (1-3 overall) plays host to South Lenoir on Friday.
North Duplin 3, Union 1
* CLINTON -- North Duplin scored two runs in the top of the eighth inning to down Union 3-1 on Wednesday afternoon.
Colby Gehron tossed a complete game to earn the mound win for the Rebels. Gehron struck out four batters and allowed just one run on five hits.
Gehron added two hits at the plate for North Duplin. Breyon Johnson, Mitchel Thigpen and Ryan Wolf each tallied one hit.
North Duplin plays host to Lakewood today at 5 p.m.
Wallace-Rose Hill 20, Goldsboro 0
* TEACHEY -- Wallace-Rose Hill pitcher Alex Boyette tossed a complete-game, two-hit shutout as the Bulldogs downed Goldsboro 20-0 on Wednesday.
Adrian Super and Kenny Stempien each tallied one hit in the defeat.
Goldsboro (0-5 overall) plays host to Wilson Beddingfield on Friday.
North Lenoir 24, Kinston 0
* KINSTON -- North Lenoir got off to a hot start and never looked back in a 24-0, non-conference win over Kinston on Wednesday.
Dani Moulton earned the win in the pitcher's circle with three innings of shutout work.
Amber Best, Kristen Davenport, Liz Deal, Bre Langley and Moulton each collected two hits in the victory.
North Lenoir (2-1 overall) travels to C.B. Aycock on Friday.
Eastern Wayne 11, Spring Creek 1
* Eastern Wayne got timely hitting and solid pitching in an 11-1, non-conference win over county rival Spring Creek on Wednesday.
Morgan Smith led the Warriors at the plate with three hits and three RBI. Carissa Turner and Starla Strickland each tallied two hits in the win.
Strickland tossed five innings in the pitcher's circle to earn the victory.
Eastern Wayne (1-3 overall) is the guest of Cleveland on Friday.
Union 9, North Duplin 0
* CLINTON -- Union never allowed North Duplin to get on track offensively in a 9-0 shutout on Wednesday afternoon.
Raychel Barwick tallied two hits for the Rebels. Caitlin Davis added the only other North Duplin hit.
North Duplin entertains Lakewood today.
Wallace-Rose Hill 16, Goldsboro 1
* TEACHEY -- Goldsboro had trouble slowing down the Wallace-Rose Hill offense throughout a 16-1 defeat on Wednesday afternoon.
Shakima Lewis scored the Cougars' lone run.
Goldsboro (0-3 overall) will enjoy an extended break before taking on Jones Senior on March 21.
Wayne Country Day 5,
Eastern Wayne JV 4
* Wayne Country Day took two out of three doubles matches and bested Eastern Wayne's junior varsity 5-4 on Wednesday afternoon.
Michael Knutson, Jack Langston and Miller Gerrard each won their respective singles match for the Chargers. The tandems of Knutson-Gerrard and Douglas Williams-Langston each earned a victory in doubles action.
Cody Jackson, Preston Daly and Jae Kim each won a singles match for the Warriors.
Wayne Country Day plays host to Flora MacDonald on Monday.
Hunt 6, C.B. Aycock 2
* PIKEVILLE -- Cheyenne Warrick and Madison Mercer each scored a goal in C.B. Aycock's non-conference loss to Hunt on Wednesday evening.
Mercer assisted on Warrick's goal and Sam Parrish assisted on Mercer's goal.
The Golden Falcons (2-2-0 overall) entertain North Lenoir on Friday. Kickoff is 6 p.m.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 13, Triton 2 -- Gregory Johnson earned the mound win for the Golden Falcons. Logan Brown tallied three hits in the win, including two doubles. Jordan Lee added two hits for C.B. Aycock. The Golden Falcons improved to 3-0 overall.
* Baseball: Southern Wayne 11, Greene Central 9 -- Clayton Caswell earned the win on the pitcher's mound for the Saints. Thomas Kelly paced the victors at the plate with three hits, including a home run, and three RBI. Caswell and Jacob Sasser each added two hits for the Saints. Southern Wayne (2-1 overall) will host Triton on Friday.
* Girls' soccer: Hunt 4, C.B. Aycock 2 -- Cheyenne Craft and Jessica Cosme each scored a goal for the Golden Falcons. Aycock (0-1-1 overall) plays host to North Lenoir on Friday. Kickoff is 4 p.m.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 2, Rosewood 1 -- Megan Mozingo and Maklynne Barker each scored for the Warriors. Alexis Mercer tallied the lone goal for Rosewood. Rosewood will host Greenwood on Wednesday.
* Baseball: Spring Creek 18, Greenwood 0 -- Spring Creek got three hits from Trey Hammonds and Will Rouse. Alan Coor and Carlos Rodriquez each added two hits in the win. Spring Creek (4-0 overall) will travel to Dillard on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Devils down Gators on diamond
- Local digest
- Spring Creek - S.Lenoir boxscore
- Local Opinion: Wayne County Pop Warner
- Golden Falcons beat Hawks on softball diamond
- CB Aycock drops N. Lenoir baseball
- MOC pitcher Capps throws no hitter
- CBA-North Lenoir baseball boxscore
- Local Preps Digest
- Prep softball box