By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on March 15, 2011 1:47 PM
Goldsboro 11, Rocky Mount Prep 1
Needham Core tallied 11 strikeouts as Goldsboro dropped Rocky Mount Prep 11-1 in five innings on Monday afternoon.
Core earned the win on the pitcher's mound by scattering four hits and only allowing one run.
Asunji Maddox led the Cougars at the plate with three hits, including a triple, and three runs scored. Coor added two hits and A.J. Lane belted a triple in two plate appearances.
Ronald Woody (double), Jamal Moses (double) and Zach Falconer also contributed to the win.
Goldsboro (1-6 overall) travels to Jones Senior on Monday.
Southern Wayne 10, Spring Creek 4
DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne got big hits at big moments and rallied past Spring Creek 10-4 at the Doyle Whitfield Athletic Complex on Monday evening.
Taylor Brock led the Saints with three hits and four RBI. Cody Davis, Kevin Wise and Zach Grantham each recorded an extra-base hit and an RBI.
Tyler Gainey earned the win on the pitcher's mound with five innings of sterling relief. Gainey recorded six strikeouts and did not allow a walk.
Southern Wayne (5-1 overall) travels to Cleveland today. Spring Creek will be the guest of Southwest Onslow today.
North Duplin 25, Lakewood 6
ROSEBORO -- North Duplin scored 14 runs in the first two innings and never looked back in a 25-6 rout of Lakewood on Monday afternoon.
Mitchell Thigpen tallied four hits for the Rebels, including two home runs, and drove in eight RBI in the victory. James Kornegay added four runs batted in. Ryan Wolf collected four hits in five at-bats.
Colby Gehron earned the win on the pitcher's mound.
North Duplin (4-1 overall) visits Union on Wednesday.
Southern Wayne 9, Spring Creek 3
DUDLEY -- Madison Davis struck out 11 Spring Creek batters and earned the win in the pitcher's circle for Southern Wayne.
Taylor Davis and Katie Airling each tallied two hits for the Saints. Davis finished with three stolen bases.
Elizabeth Edwards suffered the loss in the pitcher's circle for Spring Creek.
Southern Wayne (1-4 overall) travels Cleveland High School today, while Spring Creek visits Southwest Onslow.
North Duplin 3, Lakewood 2
ROSEBORO -- Skylar McCarty pitched a complete game as North Duplin held off Lakewood on Monday afternoon.
McCarty recorded nine strikeouts in the pitcher's circle.
Kailey Odom, Alonna Pate and Angelica Favela each tallied one hit for the Rebels.
North Duplin (1-4 overall) plays host to Union on Wednesday.
Wake Christian 6, Rosewood 5
Rosewood's comeback attempt fell short in a 6-5, non-conference loss to Wake Christian on Monday afternoon.
Amanda Beckert and Haley Mercer each recorded two hits for the Eagles. Beckert took the loss in the pitcher's circle.
Rosewood travels to Wilson Fike on Thursday.
C.B. Aycock 5, Rocky Mount 4
ROCKY MOUNT -- Charles B. Aycock captured two matches in doubles play to hold off Rocky Mount on Monday afternoon.
The tandems of Bradley Wilson-Austin Walker and Rex Rose-Michael Kearney each claimed a doubles point for the Golden Falcons.
Kearney, Rose and Will Hoff each prevailed in their respective singles matches.
C.B. Aycock (6-0 overall) is the guest of archrival Eastern Wayne today. First serve is 4 p.m.
CLAYTON -- Eastern Wayne tallied a 352 team score and bested the field of Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponents at Johnston County Country Club on Monday afternoon.
Southern Wayne finished second in the team standings with a 359 total. C.B. Aycock (365), Triton (368) South Johnston (376), North Lenoir (411) and Cleveland (440) rounded out the field.
Eastern Wayne was led by Caleb Jones' round of 78. Elliot Best (84), Hidematsu Sueki (92) and Andrew Green (98) completed the Warriors' total.
Kyle Best shot an 84 to pace Southern Wayne. Jordan Byrd fired an 84 for C.B. Aycock. Triton's Chris Sherrod claimed the medalist honors for the third time this season with a 74 total.
Lane Tree Ladies Association
Lou Ellen Flowers earned game-of-the-week honors during Lane Tree Ladies Golf Association play this week.
Linda Hilburn took low net and Linda Watson claimed low putts.
Track and field
FOUR OAKS -- Eastern Wayne claimed victories in three of the four relays and came home in first place in the team standings in the first Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference track meet of the season on Monday.
Eastern Wayne earned 79.5 points and was followed by North Lenoir (61), South Johnston (59) and Southern Wayne (41.5) in the team standings.
Michelle Webster finished first in the 400 meter run. Ayanna DeCruz won the 300 meter hurdles and Brianna Coleman captured the 200 meter run.
Eastern Wayne will travel to Cleveland on Thursday.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 7, Greenwood 1 -- Megan Mozingo recorded three goals as Eastern Wayne raced past Greenwood on Monday. Ashlie Lee added two goals for the Warriors. Jordan Everett and Allison Dixon each finished with one goal. Eastern Wayne improved to 2-0 overall.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 20, Ridgecroft 1 -- Austin Howell and Tanner Rose each belted four hits as Wayne Christian dropped Ridgecroft on Monday. Brandon Price, Chandler Gentry and Hunter Burt each added two hits in the win.
* Softball: Wayne Christian 25, Neuse Christian 10 -- Wayne Christian invoked the mercy rule after three innings against Neuse Christian on Monday. Kelsie Sanders led the Eagles with two hits. Sanders and Peyton Best each took a turn in the pitcher's circle in the victory. Wayne Christian improved to 1-0 overall.
* Softball: Princeton 15, Clayton 1 -- Charlie Cox led the Bulldawgs with three hits. Taylor Carroll, Kelsey Peedin, Kasey Edwards, and Logan Pace each added two hits. Kasey Johnson earned the win in the pitcher's circle by striking out 10 batters.
Other Local Sports
- Prep baseball box
- Reagan Hinton signs with Salem College
- Local digest
- CB Aycock drops Rosewood 7-0
- C.B. Aycock holds Rosewood to one hit
- Princeton-Wilson Fike softball box
- Local Preps Digest
- Wilson, Kearney spearhead Aycock's road victory
- C.B. Aycock-E. Wayne tennis box
- Trojans' Capps named pitcher of the week