By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 17, 2011 1:47 PM
North Duplin 12, Union 8
CLINTON -- North Duplin held off a late rally and topped Union 12-8 on Wednesday night.
The Rebels jumped out to a 12-4 lead before the Spartans scored four runs in the top of the sixth to get back into the contest.
Larry White struck out six batters and earned the mound win for North Duplin.
James Kornegay led the Rebels offense with two hits, including a home run, and three RBI. Colby Gheron collected three hits and Konner Brock reached base twice in the victory.
North Duplin (5-1 overall) travels to Hobbton on Monday.
North Johnston 2, C.B. Aycock 0
PIKEVILLE -- Taylor Creech scattered four hits in a complete-game performance in North Johnston's 2-0, non-conference win over Charles B. Aycock on Wednesday night.
Brooke Bell suffered the loss in the pitcher's circle for the Golden Falcons.
Jessica Hare, Ashley Shingleton, Connor Davis and Bell each registered one hit in the defeat.
C.B. Aycock (5-3 overall) plays host to Cleveland on Friday. Both teams are unbeaten in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play this season.
Union 5, North Duplin 1
CLINTON -- North Duplin could not push across enough runs to mount a comeback against Union on Wednesday.
Ansley Hill finished with two strikeouts, but suffered the loss in the pitcher's circle.
Skylar McCarty paced the Rebels' offense with a double in two at-bats. Hill added the only other hit for North Duplin (1-5 overall)
PINE LEVEL -- Rosewood carded a team score of 329 and easily bested the field at Cardinal Country Club in Wednesday's Carolina 1-A Conference golf meet.
Freshman Nick Adams claimed medalist honors for the Eagles with a round of 74. Andrew Henn added a 79 for Rosewood while Tyler Dean (88) and Bret Robinson (88) rounded out the Eagles' team score.
Spring Creek finished second in the team standings with a 380 total. The Gators were followed by Ayden-Grifton (409), Princeton (413), Goldsboo (424) and North Duplin (427).
Northern Nash 6, C.B. Aycock 3
PIKEVILLE -- Northern Nash handed C.B. Aycock its first defeat of the season, 6-3, on Wednesday afternoon.
Bradley Wilson, Rex Rose and Austin Walker each earned a singles point for Aycock.
Northern Nash swept the doubles matches.
C.B. Aycock (7-1 overall) travels to Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 7, South Johnston 3 -- Rider Gardner, Garrett Joyner (two RBI) and Dustin Price cranked out two hits apiece for the Golden Falcons. Benton Rouse drove in two runs. Greg Johnson batted 1-for-1 with an RBI, and provided two-plus innings of two-hit, one-strikeout relief to earn the mound victory. C.B. Aycock improved to 5-1 overall.
* Softball: Princeton 20, Smithfield 0 -- Taylor Carroll and Kasey Edwards each belted four hits as Princeton routed Smithfield on Wednesday. Charley Cox, Kelsey Peedin and Hailey Wood each added two hits in the win. Princeton will host Selma on Monday.
* Baseball: Spring Creek 11, Eastern Wayne 6 -- Spring Creek kept its undefeated record intact with an 11-6 win over Eastern Wayne on Wednesay. Alan Coor earned the mound win and finished with two hits to pace the Gators offense. Will Rouse added two hits in the win and Chad Spurgeon finished with two RBI. Spring Creek (6-0 overall) will go to Grantham on Monday.
* Soccer: Norwayne 10, Spring Creek 0 -- Norwayne got four goals from both Arielle Strickland and Sabrina Johnson in the win. Courtney Warner and Gracie Parrott each added one goal for the Cobras.
Other Local Sports
- Weekend preps digest
- Lawrence, three-time NCISAA 1-A baseball champ, turns back WCDS
- Chargers' Best scores four goals against Elon School
- Girls' All-Area Coach of the Year: Goldsboro's Latina Bullock-Davis
- Hawks slip past Trojans in ECC baseball
- Coffey, Heyduk spearhead Mount Olive's comebacks against Pfeiffer
- Boys' All-Area Coach of the Year: Southern Wayne's Russell Stephens
- Rosewood diamond 9 battle past Fike
- Early-inning support gives Limbaugh confidence
- Eastern Wayne rallies in 7th against Southern Wayne