Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 18, 2011 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 7, Triton 2
* ERWIN -- Eastern Wayne bounced back from its first loss of the season with a 7-2 win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton on Thursday.
Steven Taylor, Rafael Guerra, Joseph Chaney, Cole Newsome and Mitchell Kaspar each earned singles wins for the Warriors.
The doubles teams of Mike Barnette-Kaspar and Taylor-Newsome were also victorious.
Eastern Wayne (5-1 overall, 4-1 ECC) visits Wilson Fike for a non-conference match on Monday.
Wayne Christian 8,
Eastern Wayne JV 1
* Wayne Christian defeated Eastern Wayne's junior varisty team 8-1 on Thursday.
Christopher Easom, Daniel Glover, Woody Sasser, Kenneth Giordano and Matthew Jackson all prevailed in singles for the Eagles.
The teams of Christopher Easom-Glover, Sasser-Jackson and Giordano/Nicholas Easom all recorded doubles wins.
Preston Daly collected the Warriors' lone point with a singles victory.
Wayne Christian (2-1 overall) travels to Rosewood on Tuesday.
Rosewood 6, Wayne Country Day 3
* Rosewood picked up a 6-3 non-conference victory over Wayne Country Day on Thursday.
Cole Radcliff, Zach Behrend, Daniel Elawar and Fuad Ismail each contributed singles wins for the Eagles.
The tandems of Radcliff-Ismail and Behrend-Elawar earned victories in doubles play.
Michael Knuston and Jack Langston both supplied wins in singles play for the Chargers. The doubles team of Knuston-Miller Gerrard also prevailed.
WCDS (1-1 overall) entertains Cape Fear Academy on Tuesday.
Wilson Hunt 6, Eastern Wayne 1
* WILSON -- Wilson Hunt defeated Eastern Wayne 6-1 in non-conference play on Thursday.
Hunter Barnette suffered the loss on the mound for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne (5-2 overall) visits county rival Southern Wayne today.
Wilson Fike 15, Rosewood 5
* WILSON -- Rosewood suffered a 15-5, non-conference loss at Wilson Fike on Thursday.
Megan Tyndall and KeKe Parks both had three hits for the Eagles. Alyssa Spell and Laura Vinson each added two hits.
Scout Anderson took the loss in the pitcher's circle.
Rosewood (1-5 overall) visits North Lenoir on Tuesday.
CBA finishes second
* ERWIN -- Triton compiled a team score of 105 and won a three-team meet with Charles B. Aycock and Southern Wayne on Thursday.
The Golden Falcons tallied 51 points and the Saints had 13.
Aycock's Caleb Scott finished first in the shot put and Treseon Cash prevailed in the 110-meter hurdles. Khaliel Owens bested the competition in the 400-meter run.
The Golden Falcons won the 1,600- and 3,200-meter relays.
Aycock received second-place efforts from Avery Creech (discus), Dillon Bernel (1,600 run), Dalin Whitaker (3,200) and Ivey (800).
Saints best field
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne claimed a five-team, non-conference match at Southern Wayne Country Club on Thursday afternoon.
The Saints finished with a team score of 327 and Rosewood was second with a 335. Spring Creek ended the day in third place with a score of 341. Nash Central (356) and Northern Nash (414) were fourth and fifth, respectively.
John Taylor Graham led Southern Wayne with a round of 78. Kyle Best carded an 81. Will Bunch and Chris Best both shot 84.
"It was finally good to see my boys play better as a team," said Southern Wayne head coach Jeremy Joyner. "John played the best match of his high school career (and) has been a lot more consistent this year with his game. Kyle was seven over after six holes, but managed to salvage a good score.
"The thing we must do now is put four good scores together on the road. Just like any team sport, how you play on the road determines how your good your team is."
Rosewood's Nick Adams earned medalist honors with a 76. Teammates Blake Weaver shot an 83. Andrew Henn and Brett Robinson both had rounds of 88.
Jordan Edwards led the Gators with a score of 82. Justin Casey shot 85 and James Lancaster finished with an 86.
* Dylan Mitchell carded a team-best 84 and sparked Charles B. Aycock to victory in a non-conference, tri-match contested at Lane Tree Golf Course on Thursday afternoon.
The Golden Falcons posted a four-player total of 357 ahead of Wilson Beddingfield (378) and Wilson Hunt (389).
Jordan Byrd complemented Mitchell's effort with an 87. Michael Fearney and Lawrence Burnette turned in 18-hole rounds of 90 and 96, respectively. Jordan Salter and Ryan Morton also competed.
Beddingfield's Taylor Springs was the medalist with an 81.
Hole in one at GMGC
* Doug Stafford scored the third hole-in-one of his career while playing the Goldsboro Municipal Golf Course on Thursday afternoon.
Stafford used a 9-iron to hole out on the par-3, No. 16 layout.
Melvin Lee, Ken Loftin, John Britt and Deno Jetton witnessed the feat.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 12, Rosewood 0 -- Ben Rouse, Logan Runyon and Dustin James combined to throw a one-hitter for the Golden Falcons. Rider Gardner batted 2-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored. Jacob Harrison (RBI), Hunter Kennedy (RBI) and Conner Crandell each had one hit in the win. C.B. Aycock (6-1 overall) plays host to Cleveland today.
* Soccer: Norwayne 8, Rosewood 2 -- Ariel Strickland scored four goals for Norwayne. Sabrina Johnson added three goals and Courtney Warner also scored. Norwayne (3-0-0 overall) travels to Greenwood on Wednesday.
Other Local Sports
- Weekend preps digest
- Lawrence, three-time NCISAA 1-A baseball champ, turns back WCDS
- Chargers' Best scores four goals against Elon School
- Girls' All-Area Coach of the Year: Goldsboro's Latina Bullock-Davis
- Hawks slip past Trojans in ECC baseball
- Coffey, Heyduk spearhead Mount Olive's comebacks against Pfeiffer
- Boys' All-Area Coach of the Year: Southern Wayne's Russell Stephens
- Rosewood diamond 9 battle past Fike
- Early-inning support gives Limbaugh confidence
- Eastern Wayne rallies in 7th against Southern Wayne