Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on March 30, 2011 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 4, North Lenoir 0
* Anne Hulse scored three goals and Eastern Wayne held an 18-0 advantage in shots on goal in a 4-0 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir on Tuesday night.
Hulse gave the Warriors the lead in the eighth minute on an assist from Miller Delbridge. Hulse scored again in the 26th and 39th minutes.
Julie Pierce added a goal in the 80th minute.
Eastern Wayne (4-4 overall, 4-2 ECC) entertains South Johnston on Friday.
Wayne Country Day 6, Ridgecroft 0
* Sarah Best and Ami Hodges scored two goals apiece as Wayne Country Day blanked Coastal Plains Independent 1-A foe Ridgecroft 6-0 on Tuesday.
Abbey Pope and Catherine Ford (two assists) both added a goal. Crawford Tanner and Catherine Langston each had an assist.
C.B. Aycock d. Southern Wayne
* MOUNT OLIVE -- Cheyenne Warrick scored a career-high seven goals to lead Charles B. Aycock to a victory over Southern Wayne on Tuesday night at Mount Olive College.
Madison Mercer added three goals for the Golden Falcons. Cady Sheeks, Emily Borel, Sam Brock and Sam Parrish each contributed a goal.
Borel distributed six assists. Warrick and Mercer both had two assists. Alex Strickland and Sam Parrish both supplied an assist.
Aycock (10-2 overall, 6-0 ECC) plays host to Princeton today, while Southern Wayne (2-8, 1-5) entertains Kinston.
Spring Creek 10, Ayden-Grifton 7
* AYDEN -- Chris Nichols and Will Janning provided RBI doubles in the top of the sixth inning as Spring Creek broke a 7-7 tie, and held on for a 10-7 win at Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday night.
The Gators scored five runs in the top of the fifth inning to take a 7-2 lead. The Chargers answered with five runs in the home half of the fifth.
Ricky Brayboy earned the win on the mound in relief. Duane Gurganus pitched two shutout innings to collect the save.
Janning supplied three hits and two RBI. Brayboy had two hits including a home run. Cory Howell contributed two hits and Gurganus had a double and two RBI.
Spring Creek (6-6 overall, 2-0 CC) entertains Southern Wayne on Thursday.
Wayne Country Day 13,
The Epiphany School 3, 6 innings
* NEW BERN -- Tyson Pearson finished with four hits and two RBI as Wayne Country Day thumped Coastal Plains Independent 1-A newcomer Epiphany 13-3 in six innings on Tuesday.
Cody Neal supplied three hits and an RBI for the Chargers. Cole Davis (three RBI) and Mason Bland (two RBI) both had two hits. Hil Tanner added a hit and an RBI.
Pearson earned the win on the mound with five innings of relief.
Wayne Country Day (4-3 overall, 1-0 CPIC) plays Wake Christian on Friday at Cary Academy.
North Duplin 4, Princeton 3
* PRINCETON -- Colby Gehron pitched a complete game and North Duplin held off Carolina 1-A Conference foe Princeton, 4-3, on Tuesday afternoon.
Gehron surrendered three runs (one earned) and scattered four hits with five strikeouts and one walk to earn the win on the mound.
Gehron collected three hits and an RBI. Joseph King had two hits. Breyon Johnson (RBI), Marcus Kornegay (RBI), James Kornegay, Konner Brock and Ryan Wolf all contributed a hit.
The Bulldogs (3-6 overall, 0-2 CC) play host to Goldsboro on Thursday. The Rebels (9-1, 2-0) entertain Ayden Grifton on Friday.
Rosewood 15, Goldsboro 1, 5 innings
* Rosewood defeated Goldsboro 15-1 in five innings on Tuesday.
Jonathan Franks led the Eagles with four hits and an RBI. Cody Harris and Ian Speight both had three hits and three RBI. Garrett Burns earned the win on the mound.
Rosewood (4-8 overall, 1-1 CC) travels to Farmville Central on Thursday while Goldsboro (2-9, 0-2) visits Princeton.
Farmville Central 4, Greene Central 1
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central suffered its first loss in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play with a 4-1 setback to Farmville Central on Tuesday.
Trent Murray led the Rams with two doubles. Deric Grant took the loss on the mound. Grant pitched a complete game and surrendered four runs (three earned) on four hits with four strikeouts and four walks.
Greene Central (7-3 overall, 5-1 EPC) visits Southern Wayne today.
Midway 5, James Kenan 1
* SPIVEY'S CORNER -- James Kenan suffered a 5-1 loss at Tri-County 1-A foe Midway on Tuesday.
Ricky Langston tallied two hits for the Tigers. Daniel Bostic and Kedron Foster both had a hit.
Langston took the loss on the mound and allowed five runs (two earned) on nine hits with nine strikeouts and no walks in six innings.
James Kenan (5-6 overall, 2-3 TCC) plays host to Midway on Friday.
Princeton 4, North Duplin 0
* PRINCETON -- Princeton took advantage of four North Duplin errors and defeated the Rebels 4-0 in Carolina 1-A Conference play on Tuesday.
Traci Bridgers collected the win in the pitcher's circle for the Bulldogs. Bridgers pitched a complete-game shutout and allowed one hit with 13 strikeouts and two walks.
Nicole Melvin and Hannah Woodard had Princeton's only hits. Alonna Pate tallied North Duplin's lone hit.
Skylar McCarty took the loss in the pitcher's circle. She surrendered four runs (one earned) on two hits with two strikeouts and two walks.
The Bulldogs (5-3 overall, 1-0 CC) visit Smithfield-Selma today and North Duplin (2-5, 1-1) entertains Ayden-Grifton on Friday.
North Lenoir 5, Eastern Wayne 3
* North Lenoir picked up a 5-3 win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
Dani Moulton led the Hawks with three hits. Amber Best (three RBI) and Nicole Robinson both had two hits. Tori Howard supplied a hit and two RBI. Robinson collected the win in the pitcher's circle.
North Lenoir (5-5 overall, 1-5 ECC) travels to Cleveland on Friday.
C.B. Aycock 20, Southern Wayne 0, 5 innings
* DUDLEY -- C.B. Aycock pounded out 21 hits in a 20-0 win at Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
Meredith Burroughs (five RBI) and Ashley Shingleton (two RBI) both had four hits. Reagan Herndon added three hits and four RBI. Brooke Bell (RBI), Rachel Jordan and Misty Edwards (four RBI) all provided two hits.
Madison Davis had the Saints' only hit.
Bell and Shingleton combined for a one-hitter in the pitcher's circle.
Weather permitting, the Golden Falcons (9-3 overall, 6-0 ECC) visit J.H. Rose today. Southern Wayne (2-9, 1-5) travels to Triton on April 5.
Rosewood 21, Goldsboro 3
* Rosewood defeated Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro 21-3 on Tuesday.
Brandi Johnson was 1 for 2 at the plate for the Cougars with two stolen bases and a run scored.
Goldsboro (0-7, 0-2 CC) visits Princeton on Friday.
Rosewood 7, Ayden-Grifton 2
* AYDEN -- Rosewood began Carolina 1-A Conference play with a 7-2 win at Ayden-Grifton.
Matt Binda, Cole Radcliff, Zach Behrend, Daniel Elawar and Fuad Ismail all collected singles wins for the Eagles.
Rosewood (7-1 overall, 1-0 CC) plays host to Spring Creek on Thursday.
* KINSTON -- Southern Wayne shot a team score of 319 to win an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference match at Falling Creek Country Club in Kinston.
Triton was second with a 332 and Eastern Wayne finished third at 341. C.B. Aycock (346), North Lenoir (348), South Johnston (346) and Cleveland (394) were fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh respectively.
The Saints' Kyle Best claimed medalist honors with a round of 74. Teammate Will Bunch shot 78.
The Warriors were led by Caleb Jones' 78 and Elliot Best's 83.
Jordan Byrd paced the Golden Falcons with a round of 82 and Michael Fearney shot 85.
Lane Tree Ladies Association
* Nan Jarrell claimed game-of-the-week honors on the Lane Tree Golf Club links. Gwen Kelly seized low net and Teresa Shearin had low putts.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Faye Franklin emerged the low gross winner during weekly play-day action at Walnut Creek Country Club. Joyce Reynolds and Nancy Aichele won low net and low putts, respectively.
Princeton 80.5, Rosewood 77.5, Ayden-Grifton 27
* AYDEN -- Princeton compiled a team scored of 80.5 to squeak out a three-team Carolina 1-A Conference meet at Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday.
Rosewood finished second with a score of 77.5 and Ayden-Grifton was third with 27 points.
Nick Britt finished first for the Eagles in the 1600 and 3200 meter runs. Greg Cavenaugh claim the high jump and Joshua Davis was victorious in the 800 meters. Jacquez Raynor win the 110- and 300-meter hurdles.
Rosewood's 1,600-meter relay team also finished first.
Ayden-Grifton 66, Rosewood 57.5, Princeton 49.5
* AYDEN -- Host Ayden-Grifton tallied a team score of 66 to win a Carolina 1-A Conference tri-meet with Rosewood and Princeton on Tuesday.
The Eagles earned 57.5 points to finish second and the Bulldogs were third with 49.5 points.
Rosewood's Crystal Allen won the long jump and the 100 and 200 meters. Alysse Atwell prevailed in the 300-meter hurdles and Kasie Elliot claimed the 1,600-meter run. Brynna Lee outlasted the competition in the 800 meters.
The Eagles' 1,600-meter relay team was also victorious.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 3, North Lenoir 2 -- Ryan Faucette's two-run home run in the sixth inning gave the Warriors the lead for good. Faucette, Tyler Huetter and Brandon Johnson each finished with two hits. Josh Dixon (HR) and Ryan Kelly both had a hit. Jeremy Lancaster earned the win with three innings of one-run relief. Eastern Wayne (7-4 overall, 5-1 ECC) visits South Johnston on Friday.
* Soccer: Norwayne 3, Rosewood 1 -- Sabrina Johnson scored twice for Norwayne and Gracie Parrott added a goal. Norwayne (5-0 overall) travels to Eastern Wayne on April 6.
* Softball: Princeton 7, Cleveland 4 -- Charley Cox, Taylor Carroll and Breanna Williams each had two hits for the Bulldogs. Hailey Wood also provided a hit. Kasey Johnson picked up the win in the pitcher's circle with a complete game. Princeton plays host to North Johnston on Thursday.
* Baseball: Dillard 22, Brogden 16 -- Miguel Lugo earned the win on the mound for Dillard and recorded 14 strikeouts for the second consecutive game. Malik Wimbush provided two hits. D'onte Russell and Jordan Woody each had a triple.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne Christian falls to Community Christian in CCC girls' soccer
- Seventh-inning grand slam lifts Chargers past Rebels
- North Lenoir nips Cleveland, 2-1, in ECC softball action
- Hawks' diamond nine soar past Cleveland, 12-0
- Princeton softball shuts out Goldsboro
- Princeton eases past Goldsboro on baseball diamond
- C.B. Aycock baseball doubles up Triton
- N. Duplin-Ayden-Grifton box
- Hill throws complete-game, five-hitter for Rebels
- MOC men's volleyball team repeats as conference regular-season champ