MOC's McCombs improves on marks
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on March 31, 2011 1:47 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Cort McCombs, a sprinter and thrower on the Mount Olive College men's track and field team, has been named the Conference Carolinas men's track and field athlete-of-the-week.
McCombs, a senior from Newport, moved into fourth in the conference javelin rankings after recording a distance of 44.60 meters, or 146 feet four inches, last weekend at the Raleigh Relays contested on the N.C. State campus.
His toss was the second-best performance among all NCAA Division II competitors in the meet, and improved on his personal best by more than a meter. McCombs placed 15th of 33 participants overall in the event, which included numerous NCAA Division I throwers.
In addition to ranking in the javelin, McCombs currently ranks seventh in the league in the 800 meters and 13th in the 400 meters.
The player-of-the-week award is the first for McCombs, one of the remaining members of Mount Olive's inaugural track and field team.
Mount Olive returns to action this weekend at Liberty University.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne Christian falls to Community Christian in CCC girls' soccer
- Seventh-inning grand slam lifts Chargers past Rebels
- North Lenoir nips Cleveland, 2-1, in ECC softball action
- Hawks' diamond nine soar past Cleveland, 12-0
- Princeton softball shuts out Goldsboro
- Princeton eases past Goldsboro on baseball diamond
- C.B. Aycock baseball doubles up Triton
- N. Duplin-Ayden-Grifton box
- Hill throws complete-game, five-hitter for Rebels
- MOC men's volleyball team repeats as conference regular-season champ