Trojans set new victory mark
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on April 1, 2011 1:47 PM
MOC Sports Information
MISENHEIMER -- Angel Dache pounded out a match-high 13 kills and Mount Olive College established a single-season school record for victories during its 25-18, 25-15, 25-17 triumph over Conference Carolinas men's volleyball rival Pfeiffer University.
The Trojans eclipsed the previous mark of 17 set in 2007 and matched by last year's team, which won the inaugural conference regular-season and tournament championships. MOC improved to 18-6 overall and 6-0 in league play this season.
Sophomore outside hitter Adam Miracle and John David Nunns recorded eight kills apiece in the straight-set victory. Benedikt Schirmers contributed seven kills and seven digs defensively, while first-year setter Jackson Mettechecci dished out 40 assists.
Miracle served three aces.
The Trojans could clinch the regular-season title outright at home Saturday against in-state archrival Lees-McRae. First serve is 3 p.m. inside Kornegay Arena.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne Christian falls to Community Christian in CCC girls' soccer
- Seventh-inning grand slam lifts Chargers past Rebels
- North Lenoir nips Cleveland, 2-1, in ECC softball action
- Hawks' diamond nine soar past Cleveland, 12-0
- Princeton softball shuts out Goldsboro
- Princeton eases past Goldsboro on baseball diamond
- C.B. Aycock baseball doubles up Triton
- N. Duplin-Ayden-Grifton box
- Hill throws complete-game, five-hitter for Rebels
- MOC men's volleyball team repeats as conference regular-season champ