Warriors shut out Saints, 9-0
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 1, 2011 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne dropped just 12 games in singles play and cruised past county rival Southern Wayne, 9-0, in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference boys' tennis match Thursday afternoon.
Top-seeded Chaz Fitzpatrick, who continues to nurse a nagging elbow injury, and fourth-seeded Joseph Chaney each posted a straight-set shutout win. Third-seeded Steven Taylor lost just two games.
Mike Barnette (No. 2 seed), fifth-seeded Rafael Guerra and sixth-seeded Mitchell Kaspar each triumphed in straight sets.
Fitzpatrick-Barnette, Chaney-Guerra and Taylor-Cole Newsome each collected a doubles point for Eastern Wayne, which has won every meeting with Southern Wayne since the ECC's inception in 2001-02.
The Warriors (9-2 overall, 8-1 ECC) continue play Monday at Charles B. Aycock. First serve is 4 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne Christian falls to Community Christian in CCC girls' soccer
- Seventh-inning grand slam lifts Chargers past Rebels
- North Lenoir nips Cleveland, 2-1, in ECC softball action
- Hawks' diamond nine soar past Cleveland, 12-0
- Princeton softball shuts out Goldsboro
- Princeton eases past Goldsboro on baseball diamond
- C.B. Aycock baseball doubles up Triton
- N. Duplin-Ayden-Grifton box
- Hill throws complete-game, five-hitter for Rebels
- MOC men's volleyball team repeats as conference regular-season champ