By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on April 7, 2011 1:47 PM
Southern Wayne 6, Triton 3
* ERWIN -- Southern Wayne rallied for four runs in the fifth inning and bested Triton 6-3 in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference game on Wednesday night.
Zach Grantham put the Saints ahead with a three-run triple. Taylor Brock added an RBI base hit.
Jaime Dove finished with two hits and an RBI on the night. Taylor Raynor and Tyler Gainey each added one hit.
Will Broadwell pitched a complete game to earn the win. Broadwell allowed three runs, walked four batters and struck out seven.
Southern Wayne (9-4 overall, 5-2 ECC) plays host to Cleveland on Friday.
North Duplin 6, Rosewood 5
* North Duplin broke a late tie with one run in the top of the seventh inning and held off Rosewood 6-5 on Wednesday night in Carolina 1-A Conference baseball action.
Konner Brock led the Rebels with two hits and two RBI. Ryan Wolfe added two hits and drove in one run.
Wolfe captured the win on the pitcher's mound in relief of Colby Gehron.
Cody Harris led the Eagles with a perfect 4-for-4 night at the plate that included three runs scored. Will Winslow added four hits and one RBI. Jonathan Franks finished with two hits in the loss.
Rosewood travels to Princeton on Friday, while North Duplin entertains Spring Creek tonight.
W. Country Day 13, Ridgecroft 7
* Wayne Country Day hit a pair of home runs in the first inning and never looked back in a 13-7, non-conference win over Ahoskie Ridgecroft on Wednesday afternoon.
Cody Neal and Hil Tanner provided the early power for the Chargers. Tyson Pearson added a three-run home run in the second inning to extend the lead.
Neal earned the win on the pitcher's mound with two solid innings of relief. Neal allowed three hits and struck out three batters.
Wayne Country Day (7-6 overall) is the guest of Greenfield tonight at Fleming Stadium.
Rosewood 5, North Duplin 4
* Rosewood scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh inning and rallied for a 5-4 win over Carolina 1-A Conference foe North Duplin on Wednesday night.
Amanda Beckert led the Eagles with three hits and three RBI. Alyssa Spell added two hits in the win.
Beckert emerged the winning pitcher.
Alonna Pate paced the North Duplin attack with a pair of hits and an RBI.
North Duplin entertains Spring Creek tonight, while Rosewood visits Princeton on Friday.
Triton 10, Southern Wayne 0
* ERWIN -- Southern Wayne continued to make too many mistakes in a 10-0 loss to Triton on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference softball scene on Wednesday.
Four errors by the Saints led to seven unearned runs for the Hawks.
Taylor Davis and Madison Davis each tallied one hit for the Saints.
Southern Wayne (2-10 overall, 1-7 ECC) will host Cleveland on Friday.
Spring Creek 35,
* Spring Creek raced out to an early lead and finished off Goldsboro on Wednesday afternoon.
Brandy Johnson led the Cougars with two hits and two runs scored. Talaya Lassiter and Bailee Ellis each added one hit.
Goldsboro (0-9 overall) plays host to Ayden-Grifton on Friday.
Eastern Wayne 2, South Johnston 1
* Anne Hulse scored a pair of goals as Eastern Wayne held off Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival South Johnston 2-1 on Wednesday night.
The Warriors took advantage of an 18-2 tilt in shots on goal.
Erica Duke finished with one save in goal for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne (5-4 overall, 5-2 ECC) plays host to Cleveland High School tonight.
C.B. Aycock 7, North Lenoir 0
* LaGRANGE -- Emily Borel collected the game-winning goal in the second minute, and Charles B. Aycock blitzed North Lenoir, 7-0, in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference game at Bullock Field.
Borel scored two goals and added an assist for the Golden Falcons, who improved to 12-2-0 overall and 8-0-0 in ECC play. Cheyenne Warrick registered a hat trick (three goals) and Madison Mercer provided two second-half goals.
Alex Strickland had two assists, while Cady Sheeks and Warrick each had one.
Golden Falcons keeper Casey Scarboro logged three saves and recorded her eighth shutout of the season in goal.
Aycock entertains South Johnston on Friday.
Ayden-Grifton 5, Goldsboro 4
* AYDEN -- Ayden-Grifton captured four points during singles play and scored a 5-4 victory over Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro High School on Wednesday afternoon.
Nathan Wright and Robby King each recorded a win in singles play for the Cougars.
The tandems of Taylor Engle-Wright and Anthony Dobson-King each prevailed during doubles play.
Goldsboro (1-4 overall, 1-2 CC) plays host to Spring Creek today at Herman Park.
Eastern Wayne 8, Triton 1
* ERWIN -- Eastern Wayne rolled through singles play and never looked back in a 8-1 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton on Wednesday.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Mike Barnette, Steven Taylor, Joseph Chaney, Rafael Guerra and Mitchell Kaspar swept the singles points for Eastern Wayne.
The duos of Fitzpatrick-Barnette and Cole Newsome-Taylor each won in doubles action.
Eastern Wayne (10-3 overall, 9-2 ECC) plays host to North Lenoir today.
W. Country Day 6, Herman Park Center 1
* Wayne Country Day earned a 6-1 win over the co-ed team from the Herman Park Center on Wednesday afternoon.
Miller Gerrard, Douglas Williams, Hunter Hawkins, Lance Davis, and Nolan Davis each earned a victory in singles play for the Chargers. The duo of Gerrard-Williams claimed a point in the only doubles match contested.
The two teams will meet again on Monday at Herman Park.
Rosewood girls take second
* Crystal Allen claimed first place honors in three events as Rosewood brought home a second place finish in a three-team meet with Ayden-Grifton and Goldsboro on Wednesday.
Allen finished first in the long jump, the 100 meters and the 200 meters. Alysse Atwell added a first place finish in the 300 hurdles and Cierra Satterfield claimed the 800 meters. Brynna Lee won the pole vault.
Rosewood also won the 1,600 and 3,200 meter relays.
Eagles' boys capture first
* Rosewood earned 100 team points and cruised past Ayden-Girfton and Goldsboro on Wednesday afternoon.
Nick Britt claimed first place in the 1,600 meters and 3,200 meters. Greg Cavenaugh won the high jump, 100 meters and 200 meters. Jacquez Raynor captured the triple jump, 110 meter hurdles and 300 meter hurdles.
Jaylan Sneed won the 800 meter run and Rick Donahue took first in the pole vault.
Rosewood also won the 400-, 1,600- and 3,200-meter relays.
* Soccer: Norwayne 3, Eastern Wayne 0 -- Ariel Strickland led the Cobras with two goals. Sabrina Johnson added one goal in the win. Norwayne improved to 6-0 overall on the season. The Cobras play host to Grantham on Tuesday.
* Baseball: Rosewood 5, Eastern Wayne 3 -- Jordan Gurley, Jacob Dubose, Cameron Kornegay and Garner Beasley each finished with one hit in the win. Gurley earned the win on the pitcher's mound and Dubose picked up the save. Rosewood improved to 7-2 overall.
Other Local Sports
- S. Creek-N. Duplin baseball box
- Bulldogs chomp past Gators, 5-0
- North Duplin deals Spring Creek first league loss of season
- Eagles attack Cougar defense
- Local Preps Digest
- North Lenoir upsets C.B. Aycock
- Prep baseball boxes
- Rosewood wins golf match at GMGC
- South Johnston shuts out Eastern Wayne baseball
- Geeker Sports Achievement Awards