Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 8, 2011 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 7, Southern Wayne 2
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock clinched a share of its fourth straight Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference title play with a 7-2 win over Southern Wayne on Thursday.
Will Hoff, Bradley Wilson, Michael Kearney, Austin Walker and Rex Rose all picked up singles wins for the Golden Falcons. The teams of Wilson-Walker and Addison Vail-Rose prevailed in singles.
Alan Nunez was victorious at No. 2 singles for the Saints and Brandon Outlaw-Nunez won at No. 1 doubles.
Aycock (14-1 overall, 10-0 ECC) plays host to Cleveland today.
Goldsboro 7, Spring Creek 2
* Goldsboro defeated Carolina 1-A Conference foe Spring Creek 7-2 on Thursday.
Taylor Ingram, Bernard Green, Nathan Wright, Robbie King, Charles Robinson and Tony Dobson each collected a singles victory. The team of King-Dobson won at No. 2 doubles.
The Gators got doubles victories from Daniel Krentz-James Bishop and Thomas Edwards-Miguel Brahas.
Goldsboro (2-4 overall, 2-2) visits Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday, while Spring Creek entertains Rosewood on Tuesday.
Eastern Wayne 9, North Lenoir 0
* Eastern Wayne rolled past North Lenoir 9-0 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Thursday afternoon in New Hope.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Mike Barnette, Steven Taylor, Joseph Chaney, Rafael Guerra and Mitchell Kaspar all recorded singles wins for the Warriors.
The teams of Fitzpatrick-Barnette, Chaney-Kaspar and Taylor-Cole Newsome all prevailed in doubles play.
Eastern Wayne (11-3 overall, 10-2 ECC) begins ECC tournament play on Wednesday at Greene Central High School.
Rosewood 6, Ayden-Grifton 3
* Rosewood defeated Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Ayden-Grifton 6-3 on Thursday.
Cole Radcliff, Zach Behrend, Daniel Elawar and Fuad Ismail each contributed a singles victory.
The Eagles (9-1 overall, 3-0 CC) travel to Eastern Wayne on Monday.
C.B. Aycock 10, Greene Central 0, 5 innings
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock bounced back from its first Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference loss of the season with a 10-0, non-conference win over Greene Central in five innings on Thursday.
Adam Pate surrendered just one hit with three strikeouts and no walks in five innings of work. Cameron Taylor collected two hits, including a home run and three RBI. Collin DuBose supplied two hits and two RBI. Pate belted a home run and Mick Walker and Craig Murdock both had a hit and two RBI.
The Golden Falcons (12-3 overall) entertain South Johnston today.
Eastern Wayne 6, Cleveland 3
* Eastern Wayne got four shutout innings from starting pitcher Logan Wicks in a 6-3 win over Cleveland on Thursday night in New Hope.
Wicks allowed two hits with no walks and five strikeouts. Hunter Barnette pitched the final three innings of relief and surrendered three unearned runs on one hit with six strikeouts. The Warriors committed two errors.
Dante Arthur went 3 for 4 at the plate. Wes Stewart contributed three hits. Greg Simms hit a two-run home run and Jake May had a hit and two RBI.
Eastern Wayne (9-5 overall, 5-3 ECC) entertains Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
Faith Christian 9, Cornerstone Christian 1
* Senior Matt Lambert pitched a complete game and Faith Christian turned back Cornerstone Christian 9-1 on Thursday.
Lambert allowed one run on just two hits with 13 strikeouts and two walks. He was 3 for 4 at the plate with a two-run home run. Silas Denlinger provided three hits, including a solo home run.
The Conquerors (4-2 overall) play host to Liberty Christian on Monday.
Greenfield 12, Wayne Country Day 11
* WILSON -- Wayne Country Day rallied for five runs in the top of the seventh inning, but couldn't hang on as No. 3-ranked Greenfield scored the winning run in the home half of the seventh for a 12-11 victory at Fleming Stadium on Thursday night.
The Chargers were plagued by 10 errors. Cody Neal had two hits and three RBI. Tyson Pearson (three RBI), Cole Davis (RBI), Mason Bland (RBI), Wyatt Bland (RBI), Thomas Kireski (RBI) and Thomas Elmore (RBI) each added a hit.
Wayne Country Day (6-6, 1-1 CPIC) entertains No. 1-ranked Faith Christian on Tuesday.
Eastern Wayne 2, Cleveland 1
* Starla Strickland scattered six hits and logged four strikeouts in a complete-game performance during Eastern Wayne's 2-1 victory over Cleveland on Thursday evening.
Sedonia Scott, Carissa Turner, Morgan Smith and Hannah Grantham had one hit apiece for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne (4-10 overall) improved to 2-6 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play.
C.B. Aycock 10, North Lenoir 3
* LaGRANGE -- Charles B. Aycock built an early lead and continued to add on in a 10-3 win on Thursday at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir.
The Golden Falcons pushed across two runs in the first inning and scored in five of the seven innings played. Misty Edwards (two RBI) and Meredith Burroughs (RBI) both had two hits for Aycock. Brooke Bell (RBI), Jessica Hare (RBI), Amber Rose, Rachel Jordan, Connor Davis and Ashley Shingleton all added a hit.
Bell (9-3) earned the win in the pitcher's circle.
The Golden Falcons (11-3 overall, 8-0 ECC) entertain South Johnston today.
Eastern Wayne 1, Cleveland 0
* Lilly Herlihy scored the game's only goal in the 68th minute of Eastern Wayne's 1-0 win over Cleveland on Thursday night in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play.
The Warriors had a 13-3 advantage in shots on goal.
Eastern Wayne (6-4 overall, 6-2 ECC) plays host to Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
Aycock finishes second
* LaGRANGE -- C.B. Aycock compiled a team score of 68 and finished second behind host North Lenoir on Thursday in a four-team Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference meet.
The Hawks won with 88 points. Eastern Wayne was third with a score of 67 and South Johnston had 33 points and finished fourth.
The Golden Falcons' (6-3, 5-3 ECC) Kendra Speight won the 1600 meters and Kennedy Perkins prevailed in the 3200 meters.
Brenda Hutchins finished first in the shot put for Eastern Wayne.
The ECC championships are April 13 at South Johnston.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 8, Cleveland 4 -- Tyler Warren earned the win on the mound for the Warriors. Jeremy Lancaster collected four doubles and Dylan Corbett supplied two hits. Eastern Wayne (8-4, 6-2 ECC) travels to Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
* Girls' soccer: Eastern Wayne 9, Greenwood 0 -- Megan Mozingo scored three goals and had an assist for Eastern Wayne. Morgan Cotton also scored three goals and Mckalynn Barker contributed two goals. Kira Royal added a goal. Eastern Wayne (5-1) entertains Rosewood on Tuesday.
* Baseball: Dillard 16, Brogden 2 -- Miguel Lugo pitched a one-hitter for Dillard and recorded eight strikeouts. Lugo led Dillard with two hits. D'onte Russell, Corey Sutton, Jordan Wood, Queyshaun Bowden, Denzel Dancy, Tyrez Hill and Quasim Harris each had one hit. Dillard plays Eastern Wayne on Monday at Mina Weil Park.
Other Local Sports
- South Johnston tops C.B. Aycock
- Greater Goldsboro Road Race results
- Grace makes most of opportunities
- Mount Olive claims regular season honors
- Local Preps digest
- Rosewood closes first half strong
- Rosewood-Princeton baseball box
- Weekend Preps Digest
- S. Creek-N. Duplin baseball box
- Bulldogs chomp past Gators, 5-0