Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on April 13, 2011 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 5, Cleveland 2
* CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock clinched a share of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season championship with a 5-2 victory over Cleveland on Tuesday evening.
Cheyenne Warrick scored four goals and Madison Mercer also scored. Mercer had two assists and Emily Borel supplied one assist.
Aycock (14-3-0 overall, 10-0 ECC) plays host to archrival Eastern Wayne on Thursday. Kickoff is 7 p.m. at Hardy Talton Stadium.
Eastern Wayne 6, Southern Wayne 0
* Eastern Wayne built a 2-0 halftime lead and continued to add on in a 6-0 victory over Southern Wayne on Tuesday night in New Hope.
Lily Herlihy scored in the eighth minute off an assist from Maddie Doherty. Jordan Jackson's goal in the 16th minute increased the lead to 2-0.
Jenna Martin found the back of the net off Miller Delbridge's assist in the 47th minute. Martin scored again in the 55th and 64th minutes. Delbridge's goal in the 68th minute capped the scoring. The Warriors held a 21-2 edge in shots on goal and a 6-0 edge in corner kicks.
Eastern Wayne (7-4-0, 7-2-0 ECC) travels to C.B. on Thursday.
C.B. Aycock 16, Cleveland 0 5 innings
* CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock rolled past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference newcomer Cleveland 16-0 in five innings on Tuesday night.
Jon Taylor paced the offense with three hits, including a three-run home run and a two-run homer. Cameron Taylor contributed three hits and three RBI. Bryant Stafford also had three hits. Collin DuBose and Justin Barbour both provided two hits and three RBI.
Adam Pate collected the win on the mound. He allowed one hits with three strikeouts and one walk in three innings of work.
The Golden Falcons (14-3, 9-1 ECC) entertain Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
Greene Central 1, Tabroro 0, 9 innings
* TARBORO -- Colby Chase provided the game-winning RBI in the ninth inning as Greene Central defeated Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe Tarboro 1-0 in nine innings on Tuesday.
Chase, Landon Elmore and Colby Chase each had one hit for the Rams. Wes Sowers earned the win on the mound.
The Rams (10-4 overall, 8-1 EPC) entertain Kinston on Friday.
Faith Christian 21, Wayne Country Day 5
* Wayne Country Day was plagued by 11 errors in a 21-5 loss Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference loss to No. 2-ranked Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Tuesday.
Cody Neal had two hits including a home run for the Chargers. Hil Tanner hit a two-run home run. Tyson Pearson added two hits, including a homer. Mason Bland, Thomas Elmore and Bryce Creger (RBI) each supplied a hit.
Pearson suffered the loss on the mound.
Wayne Country Day (6-7 overall, 1-2 CPIC) travels to Oakwood on Thursday.
South Johnston 14, North Lenoir 4
* FOUR OAKS -- South Johnston cruised past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir 14-4 on Tuesday night.
Chastin Radford, Rand Jackson (two RBI), J.T. Williams, Brian Hardy and David Wiggins each supplied one hit for the Hawks.
Jackson suffered the loss on the mound.
The Hawks (12-3 overall, 7-3 ECC) entertain Kinston tonight.
C.B. Aycock 10, Cleveland 0, 5 innings
* CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock bounced back from its loss to South Johnston with a 10-0, five-inning win at Cleveland on Tuesday.
The Golden Falcons erupted for nine runs in the final three innings. Rachel Jordan had two hits, including a home run and three RBI. Jessica Hare (two RBI), Meredith Burroughs (RBI) and Connor Davis (RBI) each had two hits. Ivy Hartzell, Cierra Harris and Misty Edwards all supplied a hit and an RBI.
Brooke Bell (10-4) picked up the win in the pitcher's circle. Bell pitched all five innings and allowed two hits with two strikeouts and two walks.
Aycock (12-4 overall, 9-1 ECC) plays host to Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
South Johnston 6, North Lenoir 1
* FOUR OAKS -- South Johnston knocked off Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir 6-1 on Tuesday.
North Lenoir managed to get on the scoreboard despite not recording a hit. Nicole Robinson suffered the loss on the mound.
The Hawks visit Kinston on Monday.
Wayne Country Day 6, Herman Park Center 1
* Wayne Country Day won five of six singles matches in a 6-1 win against the Herman Park Center on Monday.
Miller Gerrard, Douglas Williams, Hunter Hawkins, Lance Davis and Nolan Davis each contributed singles victories for the Chargers. Gerrard-Williams also prevailed in doubles.
Kenny Archibald earned Herman Park's lone point at No. 6 singles.
Lane Tree Ladies Association
* Debbie Edgerton earned game-of-the-week honors. Mary Ann Sutton claimed low net and Nan Jarrell earned low putts.
Walnut Creek Ladies Association
* Jewel Ivey claimed low gross in first flight competition during play at Walnut Creek Country Club. Charlotte Campbell and Faye Franklin took low net and low putts, respectively, in first flight.
Second flight winners were Joyce Reynolds (low gross), Dot Julian (low net) and Betty Holloway (low putts).
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 9, Rosewood 0 -- Megan Mozingo, Mckalynn Barker and Kira Royal each had two goals and an assist for Eastern Wayne. Ashlie Lee supplied two gals and Allison Dixon added a goal. Eastern Wayne (6-1) visits Norwayne on Thursday.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 7, Bethel Christian 4 -- Hunter Burt led Wayne Christian with three hits. Austin Powell and Brandon Price each contributed two hits, including a double. Holden Foster collected the win on the mound. The Eagles face Neuse Charter on Thursday.