Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 15, 2011 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 16, Eastern Wayne 0, 5 innings
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock scored 11 runs in the third inning and rolled past Eastern Wayne 16-0 in five innings on Thursday night.
The Golden Falcons pounded out 17 hits. Brooke Bell supplied three hits and two RBI. Rachel Jordan and Ivy Hartzell both had two hits and two RBI. Amber Rose (RBI), Jessica Hare (RBI) and Ashley Shingleton all had two hits.
Connor Davis (two RBI), Misty Edwards (two RBI), Reagan Herndon (RBI) and Cierra Harris (RBI) each contributed a hit.
Bell (11-4) collected the win in the pitcher's circle. She allowed two hits and struck out eight with no walks in four innings of work.
Starla Strickland and Morgan Smith each had a hit for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne entertains Triton on Tuesday. Aycock (13-4 overall, 10-1 ECC) plays host to Southern Wayne on April 21.
Rosewood 14, Goldsboro 2, 5 innings
* Rosewood defeated Goldsboro 14-2 in five innings on Thursday.
KeKe Kornegay led the Eagles with three hits. Scout Anderson earned the win in the pitcher's circle.
Shiana Batts had the Cougars' lone hit.
Southern Wayne 12, South Johnston 6
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne stayed in the thick of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference race with a 12-6 win over South Johnston on Thursday night at the Doyle Whitfield Athletic Complex.
Kevin Wise led the Saints with three hits and two RBI. Ashton Cox belted a two-run home run and Taylor Brock (RBI), Taylor Raynor (RBI), Cody Davis and Colton Crisman each had a hit.
Jackson Hayes picked up the win on the mound. Hayes allowed six runs (two earned) on five hits with five strikeouts and three walks in 52/3 innings. Jeremy Taylor pitched the final 11/3 innings of relief.
Southern Wayne (11-5 overall, 7-3 ECC) plays host to North Lenoir on Tuesday.
North Duplin 12, Princeton 2, 6 innings
* CALYPS0 -- North Duplin maintained its share of first place in the Carolina 1-A Conference with a 12-2 win over visiting Princeton in six innings on Thursday night.
The Rebels erupted for six runs in the fourth inning and the Bulldogs were held to just one hit.
Colby Gehron and James Kornegay led North Duplin with three hits and two RBI apiece. Breyon Johnson added two hits and two RBI. Joseph King had two hits, including a home run, and four RBI. Larry White supplied two hits and an RBI. Marcus Kornegay, Ryan Wolfe and Tyler Potter each contributed a hit.
White earned the win on the mound.
The Rebels (13-2 overall, 6-1 CC) visit Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday with sole possession of first place in the conference on the line.
Faith Christian 10, Trinity Christian 0, 5 innings
* Matt Lambert allowed just one hit in five innings and Faith Christian cruised to a 10-0 win over visiting Trinity Christian on Thursday.
Lambert recorded nine strikeouts and just one walk. Michael Clarke contributed two hits, including a two-run home run, and four RBI. Lambert had two hits and one RBI.
The Conquerors (6-2 overall) visit Cornerstone Christian on April 25.
Ayden-Grifton 5, Spring Creek 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek fell into second place in the Carolina 1-A Conference with a 5-0 loss to Ayden-Grifton on Thursday night.
Wyatt Janning, Eric Mosley, Corey Howell and Duane Gurganus each had a hit for the Gators.
Howell suffered the loss on the mound.
Spring Creek travels to Rosewood on Tuesday.
Rosewood 14, Goldsboro 4, 5 innings
* Rosewood defeated Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro 14-4 in five innings on Thursday.
Will Winslow picked up the win on the mound for the Eagles.
Rosewood entertains Spring Creek on Tuesday while Goldsboro plays host to Princeton.
Wayne Country Day 19, Oakwood 5
* GREENVILLE -- Wayne Country Day pounded Oakwood 19-5 on Thursday afternoon.
Cody Davis paced the Chargers with four hits. Hil Tanner supplied three hits and two RBI. Cole Davis added two hits and three RBI. Tyson Pearson provided two hits and five RBI. Mason Bland and Trent Proimos both had two hits and an RBI. Thomas Kireski had a hit and two RBI.
Neal collected the win on the mound.
Wayne Country Day (7-7 overall, 2-2 CPIC) plays host to Epiphany today.
Faith Christian Rocky Mount 11, Wayne Christian 0
* Wayne Christian suffered an 11-0 loss to Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Thursday.
Chase Darden, Chandler Harrell and Taurell Singletary each had one hit for the Eagles.
Wayne Christian (3-7) entertain Crossroads Christian today.
Goldsboro 2, Princeton 1
* Dorian Wences and Ana Harris both scored goals in the second half as Goldsboro slipped past Carolina 1-A Conference foe Princeton 2-1 on Thursday night.
Harris and Kaylah James both provided assists for the Cougars.
Goldsboro (5-6-1, 1-2-0 CC) plays host to Spring Creek on Monday.
Wayne Christian 9, Faith Christian Rocky Mount 0
* Wayne Christian defeated Faith Christian of Rocky Mount 9-0 on Thursday at Herman Park.
Christopher Easom, Daniel Glover, Woody Sasser, Kenneth Giordano, Nicholas Easom and Matthew Jackson each recorded a singles victory. The doubles teams of Christopher Easom-Glover, Sasser-Nicholas Easom and Giordan-Jackson were all winners in doubles play.
The Eagles (6-4 overall) face Oakwood on Tuesday at Wayne Community College.
Oakwood 7, Wayne Country Day 2
* Wayne Country Day lost 7-2 to Oakwood on Thursday at Wayne Community College.
Michael Knuston earned a singles victory for the Chargers. Knuston-Miller Gerrard were victorious at No. 1 doubles.
Wayne Country Day (4-5 overall) plays host to Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Monday.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 17, Community Christian 1 -- Brandon Price (4 RBI), Austin Howell (2 RBI), Tanner Rose (2 RBI) and Hunter Burt each had two hits for the Eagles. Holden Foster, Cameron Foss, Jake Riffle and Carlyle Smith all contributed a hit. Wayne Christian (8-1) plays Crossroads Christian today.
* Baseball: Spring Creek 4, Dillard 1 -- Spring Creek's (11-1) Chad Spurgeon earned the win on the mound and recorded 17 strikeouts while scattering five hits. Spurgeon also had two hits and three RBI at the plate. Quarus Hill led Dillard (3-6) with two hits. Spring Creek entertains Brogden on Monday while Dillard travels to Greenwood.
* Softball: Norwayne 11, Grantham 1 -- Allie Phillips allowed only two hits and struck out six to earn the win inside the pitcher's circle for Norwayne. Norwayne (7-2) entertains Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* Girls' soccer: Eastern Wayne 3, Norwayne 1 -- McKalynne Barker scored twice for Eastern Wayne (7-1) and Allison Dixon added a goal. Megan Mozingo and Morgan Cotton both distributed assists. Sabrina Johnson scored for Norwayne. Eastern Wayne goalie Keeysha Royal recorded seven saves. Eastern Wayne visits Grantham on April 20 while Norwayne (7-1) visits Spring Creek.
Other Local Sports
- Area Preps Digest
- Mount Olive rallies past Limestone
- Trojans' softball eliminated from tournament
- Wayne Country Day-Epiphany box score
- Wayne Country Day muscles past Epiphany
- Team's departure to Five County Stadium leaves officials scrambling for replacement
- Baseball-crazed town hopes lights stay on for new team
- Future jump (TAG-FUTURE)
- ECC tennis agate
- Stevens: Athletes leave tainted legacies