By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on April 19, 2011 2:21 PM
C.B. Aycock 11, Northern Nash 1
* NASHVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock opened up a 6-1 lead over the first two innings and never looked back in an 11-1 win over Northern Nash on Monday afternoon.
Rachel Jordan led the Golden Falcons with three hits, including two home runs and four RBI. Brooke Bell also finished with three hits. Connor Davis added two hits in the win.
Bell earned the win in the pitcher's circle by tossing a five-inning, complete game and striking out nine batters.
C.B. Aycock (16-4 overall) entertains Southern Wayne on Thursday.
North Lenoir 16, Kinston 0
* KINSTON -- North Lenoir woke up its bats in the early innings in a 16-0, non-conference victory over Lenoir County rival Kinston on Monday night.
Blythe Green led the Hawks with three hits, including a grand slam and five RBI. Dee Newbern added two hits and four RBI. Liz Deal, Kayla Ginn, Megan Brock and Tori Howard each added one hit in the win.
Dani Moulton struck ut four batters over a complete game to earn the victory in the pitcher's circle.
North Lenoir (7-8 overall) travels to Southern Wayne tonight.
Spring Creek 12, Goldsboro 2
* Goldsboro could not hold back the Spring Creek offense in a 12-2 defeat on the Carolina 1-A Conference softball scene on Monday afternoon.
Brandy Johnson and Talaya Lassiter each tallied one hit for the Cougars.
Goldsboro entertains Princeton on Wednesday.
Wayne Country Day 13, Oakwood 2
* Wayne Country Day dominated Oakwood Academy for the second time in as many weeks en route to a 13-2 victory in five innings on Monday afternoon.
Hil Tanner, Tyson Pearson and Thomas Kireski each finished with two hits for the Chargers. Pearson tallied a team-high four RBI.
Pearson earned the win on the pitcher's mound with a complete game performance that included seven strikeouts.
Wayne Country Day (11-7 overall, 4-2 CPIC) will host Davidson Day in the annual Charger Diamond Classic on April 28.
Lane Tree LGA
* Sherry Minner emerged the game-of-the-week winner during action on the Lane Tree Golf Club links. Teresa Shearin and Linda Hilburn seized low net and low putts, respectively.
Linda Watson and Pat Kendall claimed first low gross and first low net, respectively, during first flight play in an Eastern Ladies League meet contested at Southern Wayne Country Club.
Mary Ann Sutton won second low gross in second flight.
Minner and Betty Jean Gurley captured first low gross and first low net in third flight play. Eileen Henderson won low putts in fourth flight.
Wayne County 12U squad finishes 2-1
* CLAYTON -- Isaiah Hatchett and Jacob Norris each recorded a double-double, and the Wayne County Blazers 12-Under basketball team defeated NC Gaters East, 69-49, to finish 2-1 in the "Hoop It Up" Invitational.
Hatchett pumped in 14 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, while Norris contributed 10 points and 15 boards. DJ Waters emerged the Blazers' offensive leader with 18 points and picked the Gaters for five steals defensively.
Justin Lofton-Russell supplied eight points and nine rebounds.
Wayne County opened tournament play with 73-55 loss to the Cary Rim Rockers. Hatchett had 22 points and eight rebounds. Waters recorded nine points and handed out three assists.
The Blazers trailed by five at halftime, but the Rim Rockers opened the second half with a decisive 20-4 run.
Chris Williams drained the game-winning, 3-pointer at the buzzer in Wayne County's 49-47 triumph over the Wendell Rams. Williams collected seven points, while Waters contributed nine points and four steals.
Lofton-Russell added six points and 12 rebounds. Y'Oente Royal chipped in six points and 13 rebounds.
"Overall, for the tournament, I'm proud of some of the individual efforts, but we still need to commit to team defense and rebound more consistently to make a run at the national title in July," said Blazers head coach Danny Norris.
* Village Christian 9, Wayne Christian 2 -- Tanner Rose led the Eagles with two hits and one RBI. Hunter Burt, Holden Foster and Brandon Price each added one hit in the loss. Wayne Christian (9-2 overall) plays host to Village Christian on May 2.