Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 20, 2011 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 4, Triton 3
* Eastern Wayne escaped a bases-loaded, seventh-inning jam and stunned Triton, 4-3, in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play Tuesday evening.
Winning pitcher Starla Strickland snagged a line drive up the middle and recorded a force out at home for the second out during the Hawks' final at-bat. The Warriors collected the game-ending out on a grounder, and earned their first-ever victory over Triton in four regular-season meetings.
"That is our first signature win," said Eastern Wayne head coach Tony Parrish. "The girls believed all night and played well. They did an awesome job."
Strickland permitted seven hits and posted three strikeouts in a complete-game effort. She allowed two earned runs and walked just one Triton batter.
The Hawks stranded six runners.
Carissa Turner paced Eastern Wayne's offense with three hits. Morgan Smith (RBI), Jessica Ream and Stephanie Smith added one hit apiece.
The Warriors (5-12 overall, 3-8 ECC) created a four-way tie for fourth place in the ECC along with Southern Wayne, Cleveland and North Lenoir.
North Lenoir 3, Southern Wayne 2
* DUDLEY -- North Lenoir pushed across two fourth-inning runs and held on for a 3-2 victory over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
Dani Moulton and Blythe Greene each recorded a hit for the Hawks.
Nicole Robinson collected the win in the pitcher's circle.
Junior right-hander Madison Davis endured the hard-luck loss for the Saints. She allowed four unearned runs and struck out six North Lenoir batters.
Davis, Hope Rose, Taylor Davis and Savannah Wiggins (RBI) each had one hit in the loss. Katie Heirling supplied an RBI.
North Lenoir (7-8 overall, 3-8 ECC) plays host to Eastern Wayne on Thursday while the Saints (5-12, 3-8) conclude regular-season play at Charles B. Aycock.
Rosewood 11, Spring Creek 1
* Rosewood pounded out 11 hits in an 11-1, Carolina 1-A Conference victory over visiting Spring Creek on Tuesday night.
Laura Vinson led the Eagles with three hits. Stephanie Hall and Megan Tyndall both supplied three hits. Alyssa Spell and Alicia Burns each had a hit.
Amanda Beckert earned the win inside the pitcher's circle.
Rosewood (7-7, 6-1 CC) entertains North Lenoir on April 28.
North Duplin 1, five innings
* AYDEN -- Ayden-Grifton pushed across nine runs in the third inning of a 12-1, mercy rule-shortened win over North Duplin on Tuesday.
Ansley Hill took the loss in the pitcher's circle for the Rebels. Alonna Pate, Casey Thornton and Skylar McCarty each had one hit.
North Duplin (6-8 overall, 4-4 CC) plays host to Rosewood on May 2.
Eastern Wayne 18,
Erwin Triton 8, five innings
* Eastern Wayne had its offense in high gear in an 18-8 rout of Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Triton in five innings on Tuesday night in New Hope.
The Warriors tallied 16 hits.
Dante Arthur finished with three hits, including a home run and a double and two RBI. Ryan Faucette also provided three hits, including a home run and double with two RBI. Zach Mozingo belted a grand-slam and had two hits with six RBI. Jake May (RBI), Wesley Stewart (RBI) and Greg Simms all contributed two hits. Logan Wicks earned the win on the mound.
Eastern Wayne (11-6 overall, 7-4 ECC) visits North Lenoir on Thursday night in a pivotal league showdown as the Warriors and Hawks are tied for third place.
North Lenoir won the previous meeting this season in 11 innings in New Hope.
Wayne Christian 11,
Community Christian 8
* Chandler Harrell pitched a complete game and Chase Darden provided three hits in Wayne Christian's 11-8 win over Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Community Christian on Tuesday.
Harrell and Tyler Mooring both had doubles.
The Eagles (4-8 overall) visit Village Christian on Thursday.
Ayden-Grifton 9, North Duplin 4
* AYDEN -- Ayden-Grifton moved into sole possession of first place in the Carolina 1-A Conference win a 9-4 victory over North Duplin on Tuesday.
The Chargers held a commanding 7-0 lead through three innings. Larry White suffered the loss on the mound for the Rebels.
North Duplin (13-3 overall, 6-2 CC) entertains Rosewood on May 2.
Wilson Fike 6, C.B. Aycock 3
* PIKEVILLE -- Wilson Fike defeated C.B. Aycock 6-3 in non-conference play on Tuesday.
It was just the Golden Falcons' second loss of the season.
Michael Kearney and Austin Walker both provided singles wins for Aycock. The tandem of Bradley Wilson-Walker was victorious at No. 2 doubles.
The Golden Falcons (17-2 overall) play host to D.H. Conley in an opening-round, N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A dual team playoff match on May 3.
Oakwood 5, Wayne Christian 4
* Oakwood held off Wayne Christian 5-4 on Tuesday afternoon at Wayne Community College.
Woody Sasser and Matthew Jackson contributed singles wins for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Christopher Easom-Daniel Glover and Jackson-Grahm Fussell also prevailed.
The Eagles shut out Faith Christian of Rocky Mount, 9-0, on Monday.
Easom, Glover, Sasser, Kenneth Giordano, Nicholas Easom and Matthew Jackson each earned a singles point. C. Easom-Glover, Sasser-N. Easom and Giordano-Jackson each triumphed in doubles.
Wayne Christian (6-5 overall) entertains Statesville Christian on Thursday.
Wayne Country Day 5,
Faith Christian-RM 4
* Third-seeded Miller Gerard triumphed in a third-set tiebreaker and helped Wayne Country Day turn back Faith Christian-Rocky Mount, 5-4, in a Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference match Monday.
Gerard defeated the Patriots' Lane Dioyer 7-6, 0-6, 10-4.
Top-seeded Michael Knutson rallied for a three-set victory, while second-seeded Jack Langston claimed a straight-set win. Knutson-Gerrard and Langston-Douglas Williams secured the outcome with victories in doubles play.
The Chargers (5-5 overall) improved to 1-2 in CPIC play.
Eastern Wayne 1, Triton 0
* Jordan Jackson scored the game's only goal in the 44th minute to lift Eastern Wayne to a 1-0 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Triton on Tuesday night in New Hope.
Jackson scored on a putback off Ann Reed Hulse's corner kick. The Warriors held a 10-6 advantage in shots on goal.
Eastern Wayne (8-5 overall, 8-3 ECC) travels to North Lenoir on Thursday.
Walnut Creek Ladies
* Joyce Reynolds placed first net in the fifth flight during East Carolina Ladies Golf Association play at Southern Wayne Country Club. Kathy Woodard earned second net in the fifth flight.
Hiromi Sueki captured low gross in the first flight in regular weekly play at Walnut Creek. Evelyn Rose claimed low net in the first flight.
Joyce Reynolds took home low gross honors in the second flight. Dot Julian seized low net. Linda Cannon recorded low putts for the field.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 8, Triton 6 -- Jeremy Lancaster picked up the win on the mound in relief for the Warriors. Ryan Kelly led Eastern Wayne with three hits. Greyson Wells and Josh Dixon both had two hits. The Warriors (10-6, 8-3 ECC) play host to North Lenoir on Thursday.
* Baseball: Dillard 20, Greenwood 7 -- Miguel Lugo recorded eight strikeouts and earned the win on the mound for Dillard. Lugo and Malik Wimbush both supplied three hits. Jordan Woody, Quarus Hil, Denzel Dancy and Quasim Harris all finished with two hits. Dillard faces Mount Olive on Thursday.