By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on April 21, 2011 1:55 PM
Rosewood wins Carolina tourney
* The tandem of Zach Behrend-Daniel Elawar claimed the Carolina 1-A Conference doubles championship, and led Rosewood to the team tournament title contested at Herman Park.
Behrend-Elawar (14-1 overall) dropped the opening set to teammates Cole Merricks-Fuad Ismail in the finals, but bounced back to win 0-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3). The two doubles teams qualified for the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A eastern regionals along with teammate Matt Binda, who ended up third in singles.
Spring Creek's Daniel Krentz qualified in singles. Teammates J.D. Quick and Cody Boozer advanced in doubles.
Goldsboro's tandem of Bernard Green-Charles Robinson also earned a regional qualifying bid.
Southern Wayne 4, North Lenoir 1
* DUDLEY -- Taylor Hood notched a hat trick (three goals), and Southern Wayne celebrated senior night with a 4-1 victory over North Lenoir in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference action.
Hood scored in the 50th, 57th and 70th minutes off assists from Cynthia Rivera.
Nichole Casto collected her team-leading 13th goal in the 29th minute on a free kick. Gwenn Lapas tallied the eventual game-winning goal five minutes later.
Saints keeper Savanna Brown logged 15 saves between the pipes.
Southern Wayne (4-13 overall, 2-9 ECC) concludes regular-season play Thursday at county rival Charles B. Aycock. Kickoff is 7 p.m. at Hardy Talton Stadium.
Princeton 15, Goldsboro 1
* Goldsboro managed just two hits as Princeton rolled to a 15-1 victory on the Carolina 1-A Conference baseball scene on Wednesday afternoon.
Asunji Maddox and Ronald Woody each had one hit for the Cougars.
Austin Hinton led the Bulldawgs with three hits. Brad Williamson and Forest Stewart each added two hits in the win. Hinton claimed the mound win.
Princeton will host Corinth-Holders in the opening round of the Deacon Jones Invitational tonight. Goldsboro entertains Spring Creek on May 3.
James Kenan 14, Lakewood 4
* ROSEBORO -- James Kenan scored three runs in the top of the first inning and never looked back in a 14-4 win over Tri-County 1-A foe Lakewood on Wednesday afternoon.
Seth Bass led the Tigers with four hits, including a home run, and two RBI. Tyler Haney and Kedron Foster each added three hits in the win.
Haney picked up the victory on the pitcher's mound with a complete game performance that featured 10 strikeouts.
James Kenan (8-10 overall) plays host to Hobbton on May 3.
Ayden-Grifton 9, North Duplin 4
* AYDEN -- North Duplin had no answer for the potent Ayden-Grifton offense in a 9-4 loss on Tuesday night in Carolina 1-A Conference baseball action.
Larry White suffered the loss on the mound in relief of Colby Gehron.
Marcus Kornegay led the Rebels with three hits and two RBI. Gehron and Breyon Johnson each added two hits in the defeat.
North Duplin (13-3 overall, 6-2 CC) returns to action in the Clinton Easter Tournament, which begins April 26.
Princeton 14, Goldsboro 0
* Savanna Massengill tossed five innings of no-hit ball in the pitcher's circle and Princeton dropped Goldsboro 14-0 on the Carolina 1-A Conference softball scene.
Goldsboro will enjoy an extended break before taking on Ayden-Grifton on May 4.
* Soccer: Norwayne 10, Spring Creek 0 -- Norwayne got four goals from Sabrina Johnson en route to a 10-0 win over Spring Creek. Ariel Strickland also finished with a hat trick (three goals). Courtney Warner added two goals and Gracie Parrott capped the scoring. Norwayne (8-1 overall) will host Greenwood today.
* Baseball: Grantham 5, Spring Creek 4 -- Grantham earned a share of the Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference Division II championship with a 5-4 win over Spring Creek on Wednesday. The Bulldogs and Gators both finished the season 6-1 in league play. Chris Reedy led the Bulldogs with the game-winning RBI. D.J. Graham got the win on the pitcher's mound. Alan Coor paced Spring Creek with three hits. Chad Spurgeon and Chandler Cannon each added two hits in the defeat.
Other Local Sports
- Local Digest
- Henderson, Carswell, Long, McCain claim Southeast Region titles at meet
- Prep baseball boxes
- Southern Wayne spoils C.B. Aycock's senior night
- Local Preps Digest
- Trojans repeat as Conference Carolinas champs
- Warriors rout Hawks
- Deacon Jones Invitational boxes
- Dogs feast on Pirate miscues
- Three Trojan hurlers set school strikeout mark