Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on April 22, 2011 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 15, Southern Wayne 4,
4 1/2 innings
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock completed regular-season Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 15-4 win over Southern Wayne in 4 1/2 innings on Thursday night.
The Golden Falcons earned a share of the ECC championship.
Aycock erupted for six runs in the first inning. Courtney McGowan (four RBI) and Ashley Shingleton both had two hits for the Golden Falcons.
Jessica Hare, Rachel Jordan and Connor Davis each supplied a hit and two RBI. Jenna Van Horn (RBI) and Ivy Hartzell both provided a hit.
Brooke Bell (14-4) picked up the win in the pitcher's circle.
Madison Davis finished with two hits and three RBI for the Saints.
C.B. Aycock 6, Southern Wayne 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season champion Charles B. Aycock celebrated senior night with a 6-0 victory over Southern Wayne on Thursday.
Cheyenne Warrick scored three goals and distributed two assists. Emily Borel finished with a goal and an assist. Niki Fitzmorris and senior Erica Darner also had goals. Madison Mercer supplied two assists. Casey Scarborough recorded a shutout in goal.
The Golden Falcons (16-3 overall 12-0 ECC) play host to an opponent to be determined on May 4 in the ECC tournament.
Eastern Wayne 5, North Lenoir 0
* LaGRANGE -- Eastern Wayne capitalized on a 15-1 advantage in shots on goal in a 5-0 win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent North Lenoir on Thursday night.
Miller Delbridge scored on an assist from Ann Reed Hulse just eight minutes into the game. Hulse found the back of the net in the 34th minute.
Delbridge scored again in the 58th minute off an assist from Hulse. Hulse extended the lead to 4-0 in the 62nd minute. Lindsey Underwood capped the scoring in the 78th minute.
The Warriors (9-5 overall, 9-3 ECC) and Hawks meet again in the first round of the ECC tournament on May 3 in New Hope.
Liberty Christian 8, Faith Christian 5
* Faith Christian got strong performances from a trio of eighth graders on Thursday, but it wasn't enough in an 8-5, non-region loss to Liberty Christian.
Eighth grader Kyle Parks recorded nine strikeouts and allowed six hits in 6 2/3 innings on the mound. Parks and fellow eighth graders Noah Welch (RBI) and Dillon Floars (RBI) were all 2 for 3 at the plate.
The Conquerors (6-3 overall) visit Coastal Region 2-A Conference foe Trinity Christian of Greenville on Monday.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 9, Dillard 7 -- D'onte Russell, Jordan Woody, Quarus Hill and Corey Sutton each supplied a hit for Dillard.
Other Local Sports
- Stevens: Panthers need to find viable solution at quarterback
- Southern Wayne gets washed out
- Trojans ink All-State pair
- CBA-South Central baseball
- Tuesday preps
- Southern Wayne-West Craven baseball
- Local Digest
- Henderson, Carswell, Long, McCain claim Southeast Region titles at meet
- Prep baseball boxes