By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 5, 2011 1:48 PM
Greene Central 10,
SouthWest Edgecombe 0
* GREENVILLE -- Greene Central got another dominating performance from Derrick Grant and earned a share of the Eastern Plains 2-A Conference title with a 10-0 win over SouthWest Edgecombe on Wednesday night at Pitt Community College.
Grant did not walk a batter during the five-inning complete game. The Rams' best hurler improved to 6-1 on the season and finished with three strikeouts.
Gunner Tyndall paced the Greene Central offense with two hits, including a home run, and two RBI. Chad Murphy added two hits and two RBI in the win.
Greene Central (15-4 overall) finished 11-1 in EPC play.
Wayne Country Day 4
GREENVILLE -- Oakwood claimed four points during singles play and narrowly escaped with a 5-4 win over Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference foe Wayne Country Day on Tuesday afternoon.
Michael Knutson and Jack Langston each won their respective singles match for the Chargers.
The tandems of Miller Gerrard-Knutson and Douglas Williams-Langston each prevailed in doubles.
Wayne Country Day (5-7 overall) travels to Greenfield on Friday.
W. Country Day 3,
Faith Christian-RM 2
* Wayne Country Day held off Faith of Rocky Mount for a 3-2, Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference soccer victory on Tuesday night.
Catherine Ford scored two goals in the win. Sarah Best added one goal.
Wayne Country Day (10-5-0 overall, 6-2-0 CPIC) plays host to The Epiphany School on Friday.
Princeton 7, Spring Creek 0
* Madison Parker collected two goals and one assist, and Princeton rolled past Spring Creek, 7-0, in Carolina 1-A Conference play.
Hattie Doherty contributed two goals. Lauren Woodard, Ashley Jacobs and Amber Brush supplied one goal apiece. The Dogs got assists from Jenna Phillips and Tiffany Price.
Brush and Harlie Silvernail combined for the shutout in goal.
The Dogs (4-6-2 overall, 3-2-0 CC) are the guests of archrival Rosewood today. Kickoff is 5 p.m. at Branch Pope Field.
* Eastern Wayne 13, Grantham 3 -- Rachel McCollum struck out 11 batters in the five-inning complete game for the Warriors. Megan Mozingo tagged three hits including a home run. Jenna Rouse added a base hit in the win. Eastern Wayne finished the season 11-1 overall and claimed the Wayne County Middle Schools Athletic Conference Division I championship.
* Softball: Princeton 10, North Johnston 0 -- Kasey Edwards led the Bulldawgs with three hits including a triple. Kasey Johnson, Taylor Carroll, Hailey Wood and Kelsey Peedin each added two hits in the victory. Peedin earned the win in the pitcher's circle. Princeton will host Four Oaks today at 4:15 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Early goal awakens Chargers' defense
- No. 1-ranked Patriots double up WCDS on baseball diamond
- Bulldogs regain top spot in Carolina 1-A softball race
- Bill cashes in five goals against Spring Creek, Eagles finish as Carolina tri-champions
- Darden hits Wayne Christian into Carolina Christian 1-A baseball tournament final
- North Duplin claims share of Carolina 1-A baseball championship
- Rebels' McCarty fans 15 Spring Creek batters
- Chargers shut out Cougars, earn piece of Carolina 1-A baseball title
- Seniors drive Rosewood into 1-A baseball playoffs
- Princeton-Rosewood softball box