By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on May 10, 2011 1:47 PM
Adams cards 80 at Keith Hills CC
* BUIES CREEK -- Rosewood freshman Nick Adams is eight strokes behind the leader after opening-round play of the 2011 N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A men's golf championships.
Adams carded an 18-hole round of 8-over 80 on the par-72 Keith Hills Country Club layout.
The Eagles are eighth in the team standings at 352.
Bret Robinson fired an 86 and Blake Weaver logged a 90 on the 6,625-yard course. Andrew Henn shot a 96. Teammates Tyler Dean and Jaz Verceles-Zara also participated.
Bishop McGuinness is the team leader at 299.
The 36-hole championship concludes today.
C.B. Aycock 17, Cleveland 0, 5 innings
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock scored early and often in a 17-0 win over Cleveland High School in the opening round of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference softball tournament on Monday night.
The second-seeded Golden Falcons (19-4 overall) entertain Triton today at 7 p.m.
Connor Davis led the C.B. Aycock offense with three hits and three RBI. Meredith Burroughs, Brooke Bell and Amber Rose each added two hits in the win. Burroughs contributed six RBI.
Brooke Bell tossed three innings to earn the win in the pitcher's circle. Bell allowed one hit and struck out five batters. Ashley Shingleton finished the contest with two perfect innings of relief.
Triton 4, Southern Wayne 0
* ERWIN -- Southern Wayne pounded out 10 hits, but could not score a run in a 4-0 defeat at Triton in the opening round of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference softball tournament.
Missy Morris led the Saints with three hits. Madison Davis and Cierra Moody each added two hits in the defeat.
Taylor Parker tossed four innings and allowed two earned runs, but took the loss in the pitcher's circle.
Southern Wayne finished the season 5-14 overall.
James Kenan 4, Wallace-Rose Hill 1
* WARSAW -- James Kenan ensured a future in the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A state playoffs with a 4-1 win over Wallace-Rose Hill on Monday afternoon.
The Tigers finished in a tie for third place in the Tri-County 1-A Conference and will take on a team from the Coastal Plains Conference on Friday.
Tyler Haney picked up the win on the pitcher's mound with a complete game effort that included 13 strikeouts.
Gunnar Wolz and Corey Sutton led the James Kenan offense with two hits apiece. Kedron Foster added a triple in one at-bat.
James Kenan improved to 10-10 overall.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 14, Myrtle Grove 0 -- Trey Hinton led the Eagles with three hits. Chandler Gentry, Hunter Burt and Holden Foster each added two hits in the win. Wayne Christian (11-2 overall) plays host to Village Christian today.
Other Local Sports
- Rosewood takes second
- Golden Demons eliminate Aycock
- Davis, Shingleton ignite CBA's game-winning rally
- Focused Eagles ready for playoffs
- RHS-AG softball box
- Own goal is Warriors' undoing in loss
- Local Preps Digest
- Brandon Winford signs with UNC Pembroke
- Adams cards 80 at Keith Hills CC
- Warriors' Fitzpatrick defends title