Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 11, 2011 1:46 PM
Eastern Wayne 7,
West Carteret 2
* MOREHEAD CITY -- Eastern Wayne won four out of six singles matches in a 7-2 win on Tuesday afternoon at West Carteret in the second round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A dual-team playoffs.
The Warriors (13-3 overall) entertain Wilson Fike in the third round next Tuesday. First serve is 4 p.m.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Mike Barnette, Steven Taylor and Mitchell Kaspar each earned a singles victory for Eastern Wayne.
Fitzpatrick-Barnette, Rafael Guerra-Joseph Chaney and Taylor-Cole Newsome all prevailed in doubles.
"Chaz Fitzpatrick, Steven Taylor and Mitchell Kaspar all turned in solid performances in singles," said Eastern Wayne head coach Craig Hassell. "Mike Barnette got a much needed fourth win in singles in a thrilling three-setter. Hopefully, we can carry that enthusiasm along with good practices into next week's third round match with Wilson Fike."
Rosewood 5, Gates County 1
* Rosewood defeated Gates County 5-1 in the second round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A dual-team playoffs on Tuesday afternoon.
Matt Binda, Cole Radcliff, Zach Behrend, Daniel Elawar and Fuad Ismail all contributed a singles victory for the Eagles.
Rosewood (14-1) plays host to Riverside next Tuesday.
Grace Christian 9,
Wayne Christian 0
* Visiting Grace Christian dealt Wayne Christian a 9-0 loss on Tuesday afternoon.
The Eagles (6-6 overall) play host to Greenfield on May 17.
Raleigh Charter 4,
* CARY -- Playing the first N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A playoff game in program history, Goldsboro lost 4-0 to Raleigh Charter on Tuesday evening at Wake Med Soccer Park.
The Cougars concluded the year 8-8-1 overall.
Walnut Creek Ladies
* Faye Franklin recorded low gross in the first flight during regular league play. Even Rose earned low net and Hiromi Sueki claimed low putts. Joyce Reynolds finished with low gross in the second flight. Betty Ann Curry seized low net and Pete Reeves won low puts.
Rose and Betty Holloway both took home gold medals in the senior games recently contested at Goldsboro Country Club. Reaves and Linda Cannon both won silver medals.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 16, Village Christian 6 -- Chandler Gentry led Wayne Christian with four hits, including two doubles. Tanner Rose (five RBI), Hunter Burt and Brandon Price each had two hits. Austin Howell and Holden Foster both supplied a hit. The Eagles finished the season with a 12-2 record.