Local Preps digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 15, 2011 1:51 AM
Morgan wins 3-A high jump title
* GREENSBORO -- North Carolina State football signee Maurice Morgan emerged the high jump champion in the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A track and field championships contested at N.C. A&T State University on Friday.
Morgan logged a height of six feet, six inches -- two inches better than runner-up Benjamin Runnfeldt of Southwestern Randolph.
Turner is 1-A singles king
* BURLINGTON -- N.C. School of Science and Math junior Russell Turner captured the NCHSAA 1-A singles championship with a come-from-behind, three-set victory Saturday morning at the Burlington Tennis Center.
Turner defeated Elkin's Tyler Macy 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.
Turner transferred to NCSSM after playing two seasons at Eastern Wayne.
Warriors' Fitzpatrick reaches elite eight
* BURLINGTON -- Eastern Wayne sophomore Chaz Fitzpatrick fashioned a 1-1 record in the NCHSAA 3-A singles championships contested at the Burlington Tennis Center.
Fitzpatrick (17-2 overall) opened play with a 6-0, 6-0 decision over West Franklin's Nic Brow, the No. 4 seed from the West regional. Fitzpatrick suffered a 6-3, 6-3 loss to Midwest regional runner-up Joseph Hatala of Marvin Ridge in the quarterfinals.
Eastern Wayne returns to action Tuesday in the NCHSAA dual-team playoffs at home against Wilson Fike. First serve is 4 p.m.
Edenton 7, Greene Central 4
* WINTERVILLE -- Greene Central had its season come to a close with a 7-4 loss to Edenton Holmes in the first round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 2-A playoffs on Friday night at Pitt Community College.
Trent Murray and Deric Grant both supplied two hits and two RBI.
Grant endured the loss on the mound.
The Rams finished the season 15-6 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Quinn, Southeastern CC reach World Series
- Mount Olive pitching needs to rise
- Trojans are hosts for D-II regional
- Senoirs Westbrook and Smith have matured
- Kayla Kennedy signs with Salem College
- ECU softball
- Mideast Regional 1-A track
- Mideast 1-A Regional track results
- Chargers' Taylor earns 100th career win
- WCDS-Wayne Christian box