Local preps digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 18, 2011 1:47 PM
Rosewood reaches east finals
* The No. 3 doubles of Zach Behrend-Daniel Elawar earned the match-clinching point, and Rosewood advanced to the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A dual-team eastern championship with a 5-4 victory over Martin Riverside on Tuesday afternoon.
The Eagles (15-1) travel to N.C. School of Science & Math on Thursday.
Elawar, Antonio Henriques, Cole Radcliff and Fuad Ismail each claimed a singles point.
James Kenan 11, Spring Creek 1, 5 innings
* WARSAW -- James Kenan scored eight runs in the first three innings and rolled to an 11-1 win in five innings over Spring Creek on Tuesday night in the second round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A playoffs.
Gunnar Wolz led the Tigers with two hits hits. Corey Sutton (two RBI), Tyler Haney (RBI), Andre Smith (RBI), T.J. Fullwood (RBI), Ricky Langston and Daniel Bostic each had one hit.
Haney allowed one earned run on three hits with three strikeouts and three walks to earn the win on the mound.
Chris Nichols had two hits for the Gators and Ricky Brayboy added a hit. Brayboy finished his senior season hitting over .450.
James Kenan (12-10) visits East Columbus (18-4) in the third round on either Thursday or Saturday.
Spring Creek finished the season 13-12 overall.
North Lenoir 5, Nash Central 2
* ROCKY MOUNT -- North Lenoir advanced to the third round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A playoffs with a 5-2 win at Nash Central on Tuesday night.
Chastin Radford contributed two hits for the Hawks, including a two-run triple. Rand Jackson (RBI) and David Wiggins both had two hits. Grayson Phillips and Spencer Bass both finished with a hit and an RBI.
Caleb Kearney surrendered two earned runs on five hits with six strikeouts and four walks in 5 2/3 innings. John Delaney pitched 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief to collect the save.
North Lenoir (18-8 overall) visits Rocky Mount (18-8) in the third round on Friday
Rosewood 14, KIPP Pride 3, 4 innings
* Rosewood jumped out to an early lead and never looked back in a 14-3 win over KIPP Pride in the first round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A playoffs.
Kelsey Korney finished with three hits and three RBI for the Eagles. Hayley Mercer provided two triples and four RBI. Megann Tyndall supplied two hits, including a triple and two RBI.
Amanda Beckert recorded the win inside the pitcher's circle.
West Brunswick 11, Eastern Wayne 0
* SHALLOTTE -- West Brunswick eliminated Eastern Wayne with an 11-0 win in the first round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A playoffs on Tuesday night.
Sedonia Scott and Starla Strickland had the Warriors' only hits. Strickland suffered the loss inside the pitcher's circle and Eastern Wayne committed eight errors.
"This game was a good experience for us," said Warriors' head coach Tony Parrish. "We took big strides this season."
Saints compete at NC A&T
* GREENSBORO -- Kanesha Jones finished third in the long jump and helped Southern Wayne's 400-meter relay team place seventh overall in the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A track and field championships contested at N.C. A&T State University.
Jones posted a leap of 16 feet, 11 inches in the long jump. She ran the opening leg on the relay, which logged a time of 50.54 seconds. Joining her were Jane Hamilton, Deborah Bennett and Latricia Johnson.
Hamilton took seventh in the 100 meters.
Other Local Sports
- Trojans' Capps tosses three-hitter
- Day 1 regional capsules
- MOC cages Dogs in opener, 6-0
- Local Sports Digest
- Rec League softball standings
- Lawrence turns back WCDS, 5-3
- Gryphons oust Golden Falcons, 7-4
- Chargers pull off OT shocker
- Trojans' Watt enjoys new role
- Talented teams, players present good challenge at regional