By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on May 23, 2011 3:32 PM
Wayne County 7, Apex 4
* APEX -- Wayne County Post 11 earned its second win in as many days over Apex with a 7-4 decision on Sunday afternoon.
Cameron Taylor picked up the win on the pitcher's mound with 2 2/3 innings of relief.
Post 11 was led at the plate by Adron Hollowell's three-hit effort that included an RBI. Tyler Ruffin added two hits. Teammates Duane Gurganus, Tyler Gainey and Kevin Wise finished with one hit apiece.
Wayne County (2-0 overall) entertains Raleigh at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
C.B. Aycock 16, South Lenoir 3
C.B. Aycock 10, North Lenoir 0
* KINSTON -- C.B. Aycock pounded out 18 hits en route to a 16-3 win over South Lenoir in the season opener for both squads on Saturday. As an encore, Aycock dropped North Lenoir 10-0 in the second game of a tournament.
In the first game, Bobby Hampton led C.B. Aycock with four hits and three RBI. Adam Pate added four hits and two RBI. Noah West reached base three times. Teammates Rider Gardner, Tim Naughton and Garrett Joyner each finished with two hits.
Pate collected the win on the pitcher's mound by tossing four innings and striking out three batters. Jake Naughton tossed one perfect inning of relief.
Gregory Johnson pitched four innings in the second game to earn the victory. Justin Barbour led the victors with two hits and one RBI.
C.B. Aycock (2-0 overall) entertains Kinston tonight at 6 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps digest
- Eastern Wayne-North Lenoir boxscore
- Warriors silence Hawks' hot bats
- Stevens: Edwards' optimistic approach bringing dividends in 2011
- Mayes' walk-off single keeps Bulldogs in postseason
- Chargers' Pearson and Ford earn all-state honors
- Princeton-Southside boxscore
- Aycock Junior Legion
- Local preps digest