Chargers' Pearson and Ford earn all-state honors
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 25, 2011 1:46 PM
Wayne Country Day senior Tyson Pearson and junior Catherine Ford each earned all-state honors after leading their respective teams to the 2011 N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 1-A playoffs this spring.
Pearson batted a team-leading .530, drove in 39 runs and stole 16 bases for the Chargers, who advanced to quarterfinal-round play in the baseball playoffs. The right-hander won six games on the mound, including his final prep start against archrival Wayne Christian.
Pearson logged a 5.18 earned run average and threw four complete games, including a 15-0 shutout of East Wake Academy.
WCDS concluded the year 13-11 overall.
Ford collected a goal in every postseason game, including the game-winning shot in a second-round, overtime victory over 2010 state 1-A champion Greenfield. She scored the team's lone goal in a season-ending loss to Shannon Forest (S.C.) Christian in the NCISAA semifinals.
The Chargers (13-7-0) made their third final four appearance in the last four seasons.
Athletes at Wayne County Day were recognized with a year-end awards ceremony. Here are the award winners:
* Boys' swimming: Most Outstanding -- Thomas Elmore; Most Improved -- Robert Glass; All-CPIC -- Elmore, Oliver Reimer.
* Girls' swimming: Most Outstanding -- Kennedy Dalton; Senior Leadership -- Ama Zbarcea; Most Improved -- Bethany Stoutamire.
* Varsity girls' soccer: MVP -- Catherine Ford; Stopper of the Year -- Mack Thompson; Hustle -- Margaux Pope; Coach's Award -- Kim Martell; All-CPIC -- Ford, Thompson, Sarah Best; All-CPIC honorable mention -- Martell; All-State -- Ford.
* Varsity boys' tennis: MVP -- Michael Knutson; Coach's Award -- Miller Gerard; Most Improved -- Lance Davis; All-CPIC -- Knutson, Gerard, Douglas Williams, Jack Langston; CPIC Player-of-the-Year -- Knutson (third straight award).
* Varsity baseball: Senior Awards -- Tyson Pearson, Bryce Creger, Thomas Elmore; All-CPIC -- Pearson, Cole Davis, Hil Tanner, Cody Neal; All-State -- Pearson.
* Varsity softball: Co-Most Valuable Player -- Brooke Neal, Natalie Ecker; Co-Most Improved -- Sarah Crooks, Rashel Uzzell; Senior Award -- Ecker; All-CPIC -- Neal, Ecker, Jessica Zhou, Jessica Eisenhauer.
* Girls' track and field: Best Long Distance Runner -- Lisa Peacock; Best Athlete -- Kennedy Dalton.
* Boys' track and field: Best Long Distance Runner -- Oliver Reimer; Best Athlete -- Josh Jackson.
* Sam Patrick Award (Lifetime Athlete): Girl -- Kim Martell; Boy -- Thomas Elmore.
* Tom Jones Award (FCA/Sportsmanship): Girl -- Kim Martell; Boy -- Oliver Reimer.
* Scholar Athlete Award: Girl -- Felicia Iulia Zbarcea; Boy -- Josh Gregory.
Other Local Sports
- EW-NG boxscore
- ECU knocks off Tulane
- Aycock Jr. Legion defeats Snow Hill
- Simone, Hayduk lead charge
- Rams score early, top Warriors, 8-3
- Trojans' main goal is to avoid the losers' bracket
- W. Johnston routs Wayne South
- Wayne South-W. Johnston boxscore
- Wilson Red takes twinbill from Wayne West
- Wayne West-Wilson Red boxscore