ECU knocks off Tulane
By CUSA Sports Information
Published in Sports on May 27, 2011 1:47 PM
CUSA Sports Information
PEARL, Miss. -- It was a game that featured outstanding pitching, high drama and a pair of extra innings.
And while Tulane might look back and remember it as a game of missed opportunities, East Carolina will recall a clutch, two-run double by third baseman Corey Thompson as the Pirates defeated the Green Wave 4-2 in 11 innings in day two of the 2011 Conference USA baseball tournament at Trustmark Park.
With the score knotted at 2-2 with two on and one away in the top of what proved to be the final frame, Thompson ripped a first-pitch offering from Green Wave reliever Nick Pepitone into the gap in left centerfield to provide the winning margin.
Tulane had a chance to potentially tie things up in the home half of the inning with a pair of runners in scoring position and only one out, but Pirates reliever Kevin Brant pitched his way out of the jam by retiring the next two men he faced to spark the ECU celebration.
East Carolina (38-19 overall) concludes pool play today against Southern Miss, which lost 7-6 to Houston in 14 innings. The sixth-seeded Cougars clinched a berth in Saturday's CUSA championship game.
Other Local Sports
- Right-handed Levitt earns redemption in opener
- James, Speight take C.B. Aycock athlete-of-year honors
- Nation's top hurler gets start today
- Wayne County benefits from Clayton's miscues
- Bulldogs rally to advance to final four
- Princeton-South Creek box score
- Wayne Post 11-Clayton box score
- Hall, Hudson key pieces for Trojans
- Levitt almost perfect as Mount Olive wins World Series opener
- Eastern Wayne-Northeast Guilford box score