Wayne West picks up second victory of the season
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on July 1, 2011 1:47 PM
Wayne West 11,
North Lenoir 10
* Reed Howell delivered the game-winning hit and Jordan Gurley claimed the mound win in relief, giving Wayne West just its second victory of the season against Junior Legion juggernaut North Lenoir on Thursday evening.
Trailing 10-7 in the sixth, Bryce McKeel ignited Wayne West's comeback with a one-out walk and advanced into scoring position on Gurley's single. One out later, John Winslow smacked a two-RBI double off the wall to close the gap to 10-9.
After a hit batsman and walk, Howell cranked out his game-clinching hit.
Gurley polished off North Lenoir in the seventh.
Winslow, Cody Neal and Howell paced Wayne West's offense with two hits apiece. Johnathan Cherry, Jordan Lynn, Khalil Warren, Matt Shaw, Charlie Robertson and McKeel each contributed one hit.
North Lenoir fell to 15-4 overall.
Earlier in the week, Wayne West split a doubleheader with Cleveland.
Alex Brogden's walk-off single capped a 6-5 victory in the opener, but Cleveland claimed the nightcap, 9-3. Warren claimed the mound win in game one in relief of Gurley, who recorded seven strikeouts in five innings.
Shaw had three hits.
In game two, Neal paced the West offense with three hits, including a triple. Winslow, Shaw, Howell, Nicholas Neal, and Corey Lynn chipped in with one hit each.
Wayne West is the guest of Aycock today and concludes regular-season play with a doubleheader Saturday at Wayne North.
Other Local Sports
- A pair of Rose's out front at WCMA
- Wayne County claims opener from Rocky Mount
- Post 11 rallies in ninth inning
- Rain washes out Post 11
- Local Digest
- Wayne County prepares for showdown with Rocky Mount
- Wayne County sweeps Edenton
- Edenton-Wayne County boxscore
- MOC adds two new coaches
- Post 11 ready for playoffs