By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on July 12, 2011 1:47 PM
Wayne County Pop Warner Football and Cheer
* Registration concludes July 28 and the first practice is Aug. 1 at 6 p.m. at the Norwayne Middle School football field. Interested players and cheerleaders ages 5- to 14-years-old may register Monday-Thursday at NWMS from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. There are no tryouts and no cuts. For more information, call Mario Re at (919) 920-6901.
* Free soccer clinic -- July 18-21 at Goldsboro Family Y. The registration fee is one canned food per day per camper. The camp is open for boys and girls ages 5- to 11-years-old and runs each day from 9 a.m.-noon. Campers may register online at www.kicking4hunger.org or call Jordan Pearson at (919) 722-9288.
Eastern Wayne High School
* Volleyball camp -- Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in the new gym. The camp is open to eighth- thru 12th-graders. The fee is $65, and includes a T-shirt and lunch. Eddie Matthews from Methodist College will be assisting in leading the camp. For more information, call Eastern Wayne head volleyball coach Tony Parrish at (252) 559-0691.
* Star shooter basketball clinic -- Shooting coach Jay Wolf is holding a star shooting clinic July 23 at Eastern Wayne High School. The camp runs from 8:30 a.m.-noon for players in grades 5-7. Camp will run from 1 p.m.-4:30 p.m. for players in grades 8-12. The cost is $59 per camper. For more information call Eastern Wayne women's basketball coach Tyrone Wagner at (919) 221-4334 or visit www.starshooter.net.
North Duplin High School
* Athletic meeting -- A meeting for all North Duplin athletes for the 2011-2012 school year and their parents is being held July 28 at 7 p.m. in the school gymnasium. Completed physicals, school athletic insurance and parent permission forms can be turned in at this meeting.
* Football practice -- Practice for rising 9th-12th graders begins at 9 a.m. on July 30. Prospective players must have a physical completed form, school athletic insurance and a completed parent permission form. For more information, call head football coach Hugh Martin at (919) 658-9337.
Summer Scratch Classic
* The AMF Boulevard Lanes is playing host to the Summer Scratch Classic on Aug. 5-7. The three-day tournament features unlimited brackets and side pots. The registration fee is $120. Cash prizes will be awarded for the top 20 finishers. For more information, call tournament director Clarke Hill at (919) 394-6713.
* Mar Mac Fall Dixie Youth Baseball -- Registration is Saturday and July 23rd at the Mar Mac Ballpark. Prospective players may register from noon-5 p.m. Age groups are T-Ball (4-6 years old), 8-Under, 10-Under and 12-Under. For more information, call Darryl Little at (919) 920-8384.
* Boys & Girls Club -- Tackle football registration is ongoing for players ages 6- to 12-years-old. The fee is $95 and the registration period ends Aug. 5. For more information, call Jeff Barnes at (919) 735-2358.
* Eastern Wayne Wee Warriors tackle football -- Players ages 6- to 12-years-old can still register for the 2011 season. New football players will need to provide a copy of their birth certificate and all players will need to have a current sports physical. For more information, call Lee Davis at (919) 922-5115.
* Upward Bound Basketball Camp -- July 25-30 from 9 a.m.-noon each day at the Seymour Johnson Air Force Base Youth Center. The camp is for boys and girls ages 5-15 with base access only. The fee per camper is $50 and registration must be completed by July 22. The camp features individualized instruction, shooting techniques, fundamental development, defensive skills, ball handling and much more. Special guests include current and former college basketball players and coaches. For more information or to register, call (919) 722-0503.
* Coastal Prep Academy -- Coach Richard Bailey is searching for serious-minded football players (ages 18- to 22-years-old) to compete in the Football Development Academies of America League. The coaching staff is looking for players who have academic and athletic goals they want to achieve. The N.C. Coastal Prep Academy Cheetahs will compete against teams from Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas and North Carolina. For more information and to leave a message, call Coach Bailey at (919) 736-8295.
Wayne County Tennis Association
* Summer Camp Program -- Elementary (ages 10-Under), middle school (ages 13-U) and high school (ages 14-Older) camps will be conducted on weekly basis at different sites in the county during a six-week period. The registration fee is $50. Rackets can be purchased for $10 through the elementary quickstart program only.
Camps begin daily at 8:15 and conclude at noon.
Here is a list of camp sites:
* July 18-22 and 25-29 at Wayne Community College.
For more information, call Danny Phillips at (919) 735-6824 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Goldsboro Family Y
* Triathlon -- Volunteers are needed for the Family Y Sprint Triathlon, scheduled for Aug. 6. Volunteers will assist with timing, transition area, water stations, directions, registration and at the finish line. Each volunteer will receive a T-shirt. For more information, call the Y at 778-8557.
* Fall soccer -- Registration ends Aug. 9. Players ages 4- to 15-years-old are eligible to participate. The fee is $57 for members and $70 for non-members.
* Flag football -- Registration ends Aug. 9. Players ages 6- to 11-years-old are eligible to participate. The fee is $45 for members and $60 for non-members.
For more information, call Marc Langston at (919) 778-8557 or email Marc.Langston@goldsboroymca.org.
Goldsboro Parks & Rec.
* Summer Athletic Clinic -- A two-day summer athletic clinic is being held on July 18-19. On July 18, the clinic for boys and girls ages 3-5 is from 8 a.m.-10 a.m. and focuses on T-Ball and kick ball. On July 19, the clinic for boys and girls ages 6-11 and focuses on flag football and volleyball. For more information, call Jeff Winbush at (919) 739-7488.
* Youth flag football -- Registration ends Aug. 31 for boys and girls ages 6-11. Registration can be done at the Goldsboro Parks and Recreation Department on Ash Street or call Jeff Winbush at (919) 739-7488.
* Adult Flag football -- An organizational meeting for interested players ages 18 and older is July 19 at the Goldsboro Parks and Recreation Department on Ash Street. The meeting begins at 5:30 p.m.
* Adult fall softball -- An organizational meeting is Aug. 3. Interested teams need to have a representative present. For more information, call Jeff Winbush at (919) 739-7488.
* Craig Hurba, who is entering his eighth season of professional baseball, is offering private baseball/softball hitting instruction. He is also available to professionally run team practices. For more information, call Hurba (607) 239-7714 or email email@example.com.
MOC summer camps
* Girls' volleyball -- A position and specialty camp is July 17-18 from 1-9 p.m. for girls in grades nine through 12. An all-skills camp is July 18-21 from 9 a.m.-noon for girls in grades 5-8. A high potential and team camp is July 19-21 from 1-9 p.m. each day for girls in grades nine through 12. The cost for the position-specialty and all-skills camp is $125. The team camp is $150. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Baseball camp -- Session I is July 24-26 for players ages 8- to 12-years-old and Session II is July 27-29 for players ages 13- to 18-years old. The fee is $275 for overnight campers and $225 for day campers. For more information, email email@example.com.
Other Local Sports
- Massey wants to restore once-proud tradition
- Wayne County drops state tournament opener
- Wayne County and Cary to meet on Sunday
- Local golf
- Local Opinion - AL and NL East races extremely tight
- Wayne County - Pitt County, Game 3
- Post 11 survives another rally
- Wayne County-Pitt County box
- Sam Narron selected to AAA All-Star game
- Passing league ends