Local Area Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 17, 2011 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 2, Wilson Beddingfield 1
* WILSON -- Tim Naughton scored the go-ahead goal in the 76th minute and Charles B. Aycock slipped past Wilson Beddingfield, 2-1, on Tuesday night.
It was the season opener for both teams.
Michael Pina gave the Golden Falcons an early lead off an assist from Collin Zacharzuk in the fourth minute. Aycock led 1-0 at the half before the Bruins tied the game in the 50th minute.
Naughton collected the ball outside the 18-yard box and volleyed the game-winner into the upper corner of the goal with fewer than five minutes left. Nick Hilker recorded eight saves in goal. Beddingfield finished with a 9-7 edge in shots.
The Golden Falcons face Roanoke Rapids on Aug. 26 at The Brittany VII in Wilson.
Wayne Country Day 2, Cape Fear Christian 2
* ERWIN -- Wayne Country Day and Cape Fear battled to a 2-2, non-conference tie for 60 minutes on Tuesday afternoon before the game was suspended due to an injury.
Li Fengiu got the Chargers on the scoreboard in the seventh minute off an assist from Cody Neal. Cape Fear tied the game in the 30th minute and took a 2-1 lead five minutes later.
Douglas Williams' goal off Fengiu's assist in the 48th minute tied the game at 2-2.
Wayne Country Day (0-0-1 overall) travels to East Wake Academy on Thursday.
Rosewood 3, Midway 1
* Rosewood overcame a slow start to win the final three sets of a 21-25, 25-22, 25-15, 25-21 victory over visiting Midway on Tuesday.
It was the season opener for both teams.
Stephanie Hall distributed 13 assists with eight digs and two service aces for the Eagles. Crystal Allen had 10 blocks, 10 kills, two aces and a dig. Summer Jones supplied seven digs. Rachyle McAlduff contributed 10 assists, three aces and three digs.
Megann Tyndall finished with seven assists, five aces and three kills. Ellen Morgan had seven kills and six blocks. Kerri Jo Gurley recorded seven digs and Laura Vinson added five kills and five digs.
Rosewood (1-0 overall) plays host to Eastern Wayne today.
North Lenoir 3, South Lenoir 1
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir opened its season on Tuesday afternoon with a 25-17, 19-25, 25-22, 25-19 non-conference victory over archrival South Lenoir.
Cheyenne Sualevai recorded nine kills and three blocks for the Hawks. Heidi Milliken collected six kills and Molly Braxton handed out 23 assists.
North Lenoir (1-0 overall) visits Farmville Central today.
Cape Fear Christian 3,
Wayne Country Day 0
* ERWIN -- Cape Fear Christian dealt Wayne Country Day a season-opening 26-24, 25-10, 25-12 loss on Tuesday.
Sarah Crooks contributed three aces and two kills for the Chargers. Rachel Uzzell supplied five aces, three assists and two kills. Brooke Neal provided two aces and a kill and Jessica Zhou had two assists and an ace.
Wayne Country Day (0-1) visits Upper Room on Thursday.
Jones Senior 3, Goldsboro 2
* Kasheika Wallace pounded out 15 kills and recorded five blocks in Goldsboro's season-opening 15-25, 27-29, 25-16, 25-18, 8-15 loss to Jones Senior at Norvell T. Lee Gymnasium.
Ana Harris provided seven kills and six service aces. Brandi Johnson added six kills.
The Cougars (0-1 overall) entertain Hobbton today and county rival Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
Greene Central 5, Greenfield 4
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central claimed a pair of key doubles points and held off Greenfield 5-4 in non-conference play on Tuesday afternoon.
It was the season opener for the Rams.
Jessica Hatch, Kayla Radford and Hayes Lovett each earned singles victories for the Rams. Greene Central and Greenfield were tied at 3-3 following singles before the tandems of Hatch-Lovett and Radford-Brittany Colie helped the Rams grab the decisive points in doubles.
"This was an unbelievable match for a season opener," said Rams' head coach Donald Clark. "I was extremely proud of my team for never giving up when things looked bleak today. We were in serious danger of being down 4-2 in singles and found a way to knot the score at 3-3. We were down 6-3 at No. 1 singles before winning five straight games."
Greene Central (1-0 overall) visits Wilmington New Hanover on Friday in the Port City Invitational.
Wayne Country Day 8,
Cape Fear Christian 1
* Wayne Country Day began its season with an 8-1 thumping of Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday afternoon at Wayne Community College.
Gianna Democko, Sarah Best, Mack Thompson, Katherine Roethling, Mollie Catherine McDonald and Meredith Roethling each contributed a pro-set (eight-game) singles victory for the Chargers.
The doubles teams of Best-Thompson and Anna Allen-Aimee Barnes were also winners.
Wayne Country Day (1-0 overall) faces Wayne Christian on Aug. 25 at Wayne Community College.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Hiromi Sueki emerged the low gross winner during first flight on the Walnut Creek Country Club links. Linda Cannon and Joyce Reynolds shared low net in first flight, while Evelyn Rose seized low putts.
Second-flight winners were: Penny Ritt (low gross), Nancy Aichele and Betty Holloway (tied for low net) and Pete Reaves (low putts).
* Soccer: C.B. Aycock d. Wilson Beddingfield 4-0 -- Adrian Guttierrez scored all four goals for the Golden Falcons. Jacob Hairisson supplied two assists.
* Soccer: Wayne Country Day d. Cape Fear Christian 2-1 -- Charlie Roethling and Noah Adkins each had a goal and an assist for the Chargers.
* Volleyball: Midway d. Rosewood 25-23, 11-25, 28-26 -- Ashlynn Spell recorded six digs for the Eagles. Kayla Hall collected five aces and five assists. Samantha Allen finished with four kills.
* Volleyball: Cape Fear Christian d. Wayne Country Day 25-7, 25-16 -- Logan Harrell provided an ace and an assist for Wayne Christian. Taylor Sledge supplied an ace and Gracie Gurley had a kill. The Eagles visit Upper Room on Thursday.