By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on August 18, 2011 1:47 PM
Goldsboro 3, Hobbton 2
* Goldsboro rallied in the fifth set and topped Hobbton 25-23, 17-25, 26-24, 19-25, 15-12 on Wednesday night.
Ana Harris and Kasheika Wallace each finished with eight kills to pace the Cougars' offense. Yusely Lares dished out 10 assists.
Brandy Johnson led the Cougars defensively.
Goldsboro (1-1 overall) plays host to Eastern Wayne tonight.
Farmville Central 3, North Lenoir 1
* FARMVILLE -- North Lenoir rallied for a third-set victory but could not keep the momentum in a 16-25, 21-25, 25-22, 19-25 loss to Farmville Central on Wednesday afternoon.
Tori Howard led the Hawks with 21 service points. Heidi Milliken added eight kills, while Cheyenne Sualevai finished with seven kills and four blocks.
Molly Braxton had 24 assists.
North Lenoir (1-1 overall) entertains East Duplin tonight.
Princeton finishes 2-1
* Princeton opened its season with a five-set loss to South Johnston, but rebounded with consecutive wins over Clayton and Cleveland in the annual Johnston County Cup.
Amber Hill led the Bulldogs during the three-day event with 31 kills and 16 service aces. Hill was named to the all-tournament team. Savanna Massengill added 23 kills and Nicole Melvin finished with 16 kills.
Princeton (2-1 overall) plays host to Bunn on Tuesday.
Eastern Wayne 8, Fike 1
* WILSON -- Eastern Wayne opened regular-season play with an 8-1, non-conference victory over Wilson Fike on Wednesday afternoon.
The Warriors claimed five singles points behind Grace Delbridge, Savannah Sutton, Jackie Johnson, Kristina Childre and McKenna Dove.
In doubles play the tandems of Blake Govan-Delbridge, Sutton-Johnson and Childre-Dove each claimed a point for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne (1-0 overall) welcomes South Johnston next Tuesday.
North Lenoir 2, Kinston 1
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir got its first win of the soccer season with a 2-1 triumph over Kinston on Wednesday night.
Chastin Radford and Oscar Navaret each tallied one goal in the victory. Joseph Grady logged the assist on Navaret's score.
Caleb Bard finished with 10 saves for the Hawks.
North Lenoir (1-1 overall) plays host to South Lenoir tonight.
Golden Falcons win
* Charles B. Aycock carded a four-player total of 163 and bested Rosewood on Tuesday afternoon at Lane Tree Golf Club. Rosewood finished with a 184 total.
Jesse Stewart paced the Golden Falcons with a medalist round of 50. Jordyn Howell finished with a 54.
Taylor Brock and Jennifer Liles led Rosewood identical scores of 61.
* Volleyball: Goldsboro 2, Hobbton 0 -- Goldsboro prevailed 25-19, 26-24 on Wednesday night. Alexus Davis led the Cougars with four kills. Maddy Jara tallied 10 aces in the win. Goldsboro improved to 1-0 overall.
* Volleyball: Rosewood 2, Eastern Wayne 1 -- The Eagles evened their record at 1-1 with a 25-20, 30-32, 25-12 win over the Warriors. Hayley Mercer and Ashley Thornton had five kills apiece. Kayla Hall and Jordan Martens each dished out five assists. Samantha Allen (two kills), Callie Thornton and Ashlynn Spell also contributed to the win.