By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on August 19, 2011 1:47 PM
Wayne Country Day 3,
East Wake Academy 3
* ZEBULON -- Hil Tanner scored three times for Wayne Country Day, but the Chargers couldn't hold a late lead in a 3-3 tie against East Wake Academy on Thursday afternoon.
East Wake scored the only goal of the first half in the opening minute of the game. Tanner tied the game on an assist from Cody Neal in the 41st minute. After East Wake took a 2-1 lead, Tanner's goal off an assist from Jack Langston tied the game at 2-2 in the 49th minute.
Tanner's goal off Li Fengiu's assist in the 72nd minute put Wayne Country Day in front 3-2. East Wake scored the equalizing goal off a direct free kick in the 78th minute.
The Chargers (0-0-2 overall) travel to Community Christian on Monday.
North Lenoir 6, South Lenoir 0
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir routed visiting South Lenoir 6-0 on Thursday evening.
Oscar Navarete scored twice for the Hawks. Justin Shimer, Fili Gonzalez, Oscar Avila and Tyler Gray each added a goal.
North Lenoir goalie Caleb Baird recorded eight saves.
The Hawks (2-1-0 overall) visit South Lenoir on Aug. 25.
Epiphany 2, Wayne Christian 1
* NEW BERN -- Epiphany scored two goals in the second half of a 2-1 comeback win over Wayne Christian on Thursday afternoon.
Chase Darden's penalty kick in the fifth minute gave the Eagles a 1-0 lead.
Ian Brizes scored both goals for the Wildcats.
Wayne Christian (0-1-0 overall) plays host to Fayetteville Christian on Monday.
C.B. Aycock 7, Rocky Mount 2
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock put the finishing touches a perfect first week of regular-season play with a 7-2, non-conference triumph over Rocky Mount on Thursday afternoon.
"We really played well throughout the lineup," said Golden Falcons head coach Brad Matthews. "Rocky Mount does have a pretty good team. They hit some shots and we matched them. I was really tickled with singles."
Brooke Barfield, Ashton Walker, Katie Gurley, Misty Edwards and Caroline Bone each earned a singles point for Aycock. Barfield-Walker and Gurley-Edwards each prevailed in doubles.
The Golden Falcons (3-0 overall) begin a three-game road swing Tuesday at Triton in the Eastern Carolina 3-A opener for both teams.
Rosewood 3, Union 1
* ROSE HILL -- Rosewood continued its early-season roll with a 25-12, 25-17, 16-25, 25-11 non-conference win at Union on Thursday.
Crystal Allen pounded out eight kills to go with five blocks and two aces. Summer Jones recorded seven digs and Stephanie Hall distributed seven assists. Rachyle McAlduff supplied five assists and three aces and Ellen Morgan had five kills.
Megann Tyndall contributed four aces, three kills and two digs.
The Eagles (3-0 overall) visit Eastern Wayne on Wednesday.
Wayne Country Day 3, Upper Room 0
* RALEIGH -- Wayne Country Day earned its first win of the season with a 25-12, 25-18, 25-18 victory.
Rachel Uzzell provided nine aces for the Chargers and Sarah Crooks had seven aces and four kills. Jessica Zhou contributed six assists, five digs and three kills.
Wayne Country Day (1-1 overall) travels to Pope John Paul today.
North Lenoir 3, East Duplin 0
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir pulled out three tightly-contested sets in a 25-21, 25-23, 25-21 non-conference win over East Duplin on Thursday.
Molly Braxton handed out 28 assists for the Hawks. Heidi Milliken provided 10 kills and Dani Moulton had six kills.
North Lenoir (2-1 overall) visits East Duplin on Tuesday.
C.B. Aycock 3, Wilson Hunt 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock defeated Wilson Hunt 25-21, 25-22, 25-20 on Thursday evening.
Madison Mercer collected eight kills for the Golden Falcons. Connor Davis supplied seven kills and Meredith Burroughs added six kills. Madison Martin had five aces.
Aycock (2-0 overall) travels to Greene Central on Wednesday.
Eastern Wayne 20, Wilson Hunt 12
* Eastern Wayne's defense held Wilson Hunt to 77 yards of total offense in a season-opening, 20-12 victory Thursday evening at Little Big Horn.
Craig Smith led the Warriors' defense with 12 tackles and Ronaldo Hamilton recorded four sacks. Darius Evans supplied three sacks and Matthew Mintz had two sacks.
Eastern Wayne quarterback Mitch Pike threw a touchdown pass and also ran for a score. Micah Smith hauled in a touchdown reception and Damani Lewis added a rushing touchdown.
The Warriors (1-0) visit Goldsboro on Aug. 25.
New Hanover 28, Goldsboro 6
* WILMINGTON -- Rasheed Malette rushed for 105 yards, including a 76-yard touchdown, but it wasn't enough in Goldsboro's 28-6, season-opening loss at New Hanover on Thursday night.
Free safety Toric Best recorded an interception for the Cougars and James Clyde broke up five passes. Malette chipped in five tackles.
Alquan Dunn led the defense with 10 tackles and Travis Sauls made nine stops. Jarod Fortson and Taylin Davis each contributed six tackles.
C.B. Aycock 44, Rosewood 18
* Four Charles B. Aycock running backs combined to rush for 323 yards and six touchdowns in a 44-18 rout at Rosewood on Thursday night.
Jordan West led the Golden Falcons' rushing attack with 103 yards and two touchdowns. Tazmount Groves ran for 85 yards and a pair of TDs.
Jay Suber added 76 yards and a score. Dillon Baker contributed 59 yards and a touchdown.
Triston O'Brien led the Aycock defense with eight tackles and a sack. Jackson Yelverton and Blake Merrill each collected eight tackles. West provided six tackles.
The Golden Falcons (1-0) travel to Wilson Hunt on Aug. 25.
* Volleyball: East Duplin d. North Lenoir 25-12, 25-17 -- Brooke Parnell and Roxie Stallings each had two kills for the Hawks.
* Volleyball: Wilson Hunt d. C.B. Aycock 25-16, 25-22 -- Courtney Warner provided five kills for the Golden Falcons.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Union 26-24, 25-18 -- Hayley Mercer, Samantha Allen and Callie Thornton had two kills apiece. Jordan Martens (two aces) and Kayla Hall combined for five assists. Ashley Thornton, Jordan Dubose, Ashlynn Spell and Emily Brock also contributed to the win. Rosewood improved to 2-1 overall.