High school football
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on August 19, 2011 1:47 PM
Five teams will kick off at home tonight:
* Southern Wayne travels to perennial 1-A powerhouse James Kenan, which is ranked No. 11 in the NCPreps.com preseason poll. The Tigers return 13 lettermen off last year's team which advanced to the second round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association large-school playoffs.
* Charles B. Aycock plays host to county rival Rosewood in a rematch won by the Golden Falcons last season at Branch Pope Field. The Eagles, directed by head coach Robert Britt, return an experienced squad.
* Goldsboro entertains Mideastern 4-A member Wilmington New Hanover. The Wildcats won last year's season-opening meeting. The Cougars triumphed in 10 of their next 13 outings to finish 10-4 overall.
* Border rivals Greene Central and North Lenoir meet at Wheat Swamp. The teams combined to win just three non-conference games last year. The Rams had to give back their victory over the Hawks due to using an ineligible player.
* Spring Creek still seeks its first-ever season-opening win when South Lenoir ventures into "The Swamp." The Blue Devils logged a two-touchdown victory last season in Deep Run.
Three teams start on the road:
* Reigning Eastern Carolina 3-A co-champion Eastern Wayne is the guest of Big East member Wilson Hunt, which is ranked No. 15 in the NCPreps.com preseason 3-A poll.
* North Duplin visits Chocowinity Southside. The Seahawks won last year's meeting.
* Princeton crosses over into Sampson County for a duel with Hobbton. Both teams are coming off playoff appearances a year ago.
All games kick off at 7:30 p.m.