Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 21, 2011 1:51 AM
Wayne Country Day 3,
Pope John Paul 0
* GREENVILLE -- Bailee Creger turned in a five-kill, six-ace performance in Wayne Country Day's 25-16, 25-11, 25-18 conquest of Pope John Paul School on Friday afternoon.
Sarah Crooks collected four aces and three kills. Rachel Uzzell (seven aces), Jessica Zhou (four kills), Brooke Neal (two aces) and Stephanie Schappell (two aces) contributed to the win.
The Chargers (2-1 overall) travel to Community Christian on Monday.
Jones takes first in boys' meet
* Wayne Christian's Connor Jones emerged the top runner in a seven-team, non-conference boys' meet contested at Waynesborough Park on Friday afternoon.
Jones covered the 5K course in 17 minutes, 52 seconds.
Teammates Mark Sawyer (20:59) and David Swets (23:43) crossed the finish line third and eighth, respectively. Adam Hudson (14th) and Matthew Wells (17th) also contributed to the Eagles' second-place, 43-point effort.
Wayne Country Day's Robert Glass ended up 16th in 24:24. Teammates Jackson Warren (27:37) and Nicholas French (33:23) took 26th and 33rd, respectively.
Epiphany won the meet with 28 points.
On the girls' side, Wayne Country Day's Emily Warren placed 11th in 27:34, while Lisa Peacock finished 16th in 28:13. Ami Hodges was 30th overall.
Sarah Allen, Wayne Christian's lone competitor, took 17th.
Faith Christian-Rocky Mount won the meet with 42 points.
Wayne Christian 9,
Cape Fear Christian 0
* Wayne Christian launched its Carolina Christian 1-A Conference season with a 9-0 thrashing of Cape Fear Christian on the Wayne Community College courts.
Faith Sutton, Taylor Willman, Elizabeth Sutton, Ally Willman, Bryanna Means and Abigail Easom each claimed a pro-set (eight-game) singles victory.
F. Sutton-T. Willman, E. Sutton-A. Willman and Means-Easom each prevailed on the doubles scene.
Wayne Christian (1-0 overall) visits Wayne Country Day on Aug. 25.
New Hanover 9,
Greene Central 0
* WILMINGTON -- Perennial 4-A power Wilmington New Hanover shut out Greene Central on opening day of the 2011 Port City Invitational.
The Rams suffered hard-luck losses at No. 2 doubles and No. 4 singles.
The tandem of Brittany Colie-Danielle Dillane endured a 10-8 defeat, while Hayes Lovett dropped a three-set decision to the Wildcats' Mirrah Warren after forcing a tiebreaker.
James Kenan 27, Southern Wayne 14
* DUDLEY -- Marquis Baldwin and Breyon Kornegay each punched in a four-yard touchdown in Southern Wayne's season-opening, 27-14 loss to James Kenan at the Doyle Whitfield Athletic Complex.
Markim McNair led the Saints' ground game with 66 yards.
The Saints (0-1 overall) travel to Northern Nash next Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- FOOTBALL TAB - Big, physical Rams ready to produce
- FOOTBALL TAB - New group set to lead Golden Falcons
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Good numbers boost Britt's beliefs
- FOOTBALL TAB -- New coach, same 'ole Saints in Dudley
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Gators seek improvement in 2011
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Sutton confident his labor is paying off
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Bulldogs find motivation to work hard
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Expectations follow Tigers' program
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Rebels need to finish tackles this fall